Marginal note:Referenced documents — as amended from time to time
2. (1) Except as otherwise indicated in these Regulations, any reference in these Regulations to a document is a reference to the document as amended from time to time.
(2) For the purposes of these Regulations, wherever the term “Administration” appears in a document incorporated by reference into these Regulations, it means
(a) in the case of a Canadian vessel or a Canadian pleasure craft, the Minister; and
(b) in the case of a foreign vessel or a foreign pleasure craft, the government of the state whose flag the vessel is entitled to fly.
(3) In the event of an inconsistency between a definition in a document incorporated by reference into these Regulations and any other definition in these Regulations, that other definition prevails to the extent of the inconsistency.
(4) For the purpose of interpreting a document incorporated by reference into these Regulations, “should” is to be read as “must”.
(5) For the purposes of these Regulations, guidelines, recommendations, requirements and similar matters set out in a document referred to in a footnote to a document incorporated by reference into these Regulations are to be considered mandatory.
3. (1) Except as otherwise provided, these Regulations apply in respect of
(a) vessels in waters under Canadian jurisdiction; and
(b) Canadian vessels everywhere.
Marginal note:Vessels engaged in exploration or drilling
(2) These Regulations apply in respect of vessels that are capable of engaging in the drilling for, or the production, conservation or processing of, oil or gas, except when the vessel is on location and engaged in the exploration or drilling for, or the production, conservation or processing of, oil or gas as defined in section 2 of the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act, in an area described in paragraph 3(a) or (b) of that Act.
Marginal note:Government vessels
(3) Sections 187 and 189 of the Act and these Regulations do not apply in respect of government vessels.
Marginal note:Vessels owned or operated by a foreign state
(4) These Regulations, other than sections 5, 30, 31, 101 and 102, do not apply in respect of vessels that are owned or operated by a foreign state when they are being used only in government non-commercial service.
Marginal note:Prescribed pollutants
4. For the purposes of sections 187 and 189 of the Act, the following substances are prescribed pollutants:
(a) oil and any oily mixture;
(b) garbage; and
(c) organotin compounds that act as biocides.
- Date modified: