58. The master of an NLS tanker or chemical tanker must ensure that
(a) permanent notices are displayed in conspicuous places on board, indicating the areas in which smoking and naked lights are prohibited;
(b) while the tanker is in a port, the following notices are displayed near every access to the tanker, as appropriate:
(i) “NO NAKED LIGHTS / PAS DE FLAMMES NUES”,
(ii) “NO SMOKING / DÉFENSE DE FUMER”, and
(iii) “NO UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS / ACCÈS INTERDIT AUX PERSONNES NON AUTORISÉES”; and
(c) while the tanker is in a port and the cargo being handled presents a health hazard, the notice “WARNING HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS / ATTENTION PRODUITS CHIMIQUES DANGEREUX” is displayed near every access to the tanker.
Control of Cargo Operations
Marginal note:Operational requirements — NLS tankers
59. The master of an NLS tanker must ensure that the operational procedures with respect to cargo handling, tank cleaning, slops handling and cargo tank ballasting and deballasting are carried out in accordance with the tanker’s procedures and arrangements manual and with this Subdivision.
Marginal note:Operational requirements — IBC Code
60. (1) The master of a chemical tanker that was constructed on or after July 1, 1986, or that is a Canadian vessel that was constructed before that date and first registered or listed in Canada after February 15, 1993, must ensure that the operational requirements of the IBC Code are met.
Marginal note:Section 16.2.2 of the IBC Code
(2) The master of a chemical tanker referred to in subsection (1) must refuse any cargo mentioned in section 16.2.2 of the IBC Code if the analysis of the cargo has not been certified by its manufacturer or a marine chemist.
Marginal note:Operational requirements — BCH Code
(3) The master of a chemical tanker that is not referred to in subsection (1) must ensure that the operational requirements of chapter V of the BCH Code are met.
Marginal note:Offshore support vessels
(4) The master of an offshore support vessel that holds a Certificate of Fitness for an Offshore Support Vessel may ensure that the operational requirements of chapter 6 of Resolution A.673(16) are met instead of the requirements referred to in subsection (1) or (3).
Marginal note:Tank washing operations
61. The tank washing operations referred to in sections 63 and 64 must be carried out
(a) in accordance with the requirements of appendix 6 to Annex II to MARPOL; and
(b) in such a way that the effluent resulting from the washing
(i) is transferred to a reception facility that can receive the effluent in an environmentally safe manner, and
(ii) is not discharged.
- Date modified: