Marginal note:Obtaining assistance
(a) an assistant who is accompanying the driver;
(b) a person who is in another vehicle that is not transporting explosives following the vehicle transporting explosives and with whom the driver is in constant communication;
(c) a person who is monitoring a two-way radio or equivalent communication system.
Marginal note:Tracking and communication systems
198 (1) If a vehicle — other than a vehicle in which a Footnote *manufacturing operation may be carried out — is used to transport the following quantity of an Footnote *explosive that is listed in subsection (2), the carrier must ensure that it is equipped with a tracking and communication system no later than
(a) one year after these Regulations are made, if the vehicle is transporting 1 000 or more detonators;
(b) one year after these Regulations are made, if the vehicle is transporting 15 000 kg or more of explosives;
(c) two years after these Regulations are made, if the vehicle is transporting at least 10 000 kg but less than 15 000 kg of explosives; or
(d) three years after these Regulations are made if transporting at least 2 000 kg but less than 10 000 kg of explosives.
Marginal note:Listed explosives
(a) Class 1, Division 1, 2 or 3;
(b) Class 1, Division 4 with one of the following UN numbers:
(i) UN 0104, CORD DETONATING, MILD EFFECT or FUSE DETONATING, MILD EFFECT,
(ii) UN 0237, CHARGES, SHAPED, FLEXIBLE, LINEAR,
(iii) UN 0255, DETONATORS, ELECTRIC,
(iv) UN 0267, DETONATORS, NON-ELECTRIC,
(v) UN 0289, CORD, DETONATING,
(vi) UN 0361, DETONATOR ASSEMBLIES, NON-ELECTRIC,
(vii) UN 0365, DETONATORS FOR AMMUNITION,
(viii) UN 0366, DETONATORS FOR AMMUNITION,
(ix) UN 0440, CHARGES, SHAPED,
(x) UN 0441, CHARGES, SHAPED,
(xi) UN 0445, CHARGES, EXPLOSIVE, COMMERCIAL,
(xii) UN 0456, DETONATORS, ELECTRIC,
(xiii) UN 0500, DETONATOR ASSEMBLIES, NON-ELECTRIC; or
(c) Class 1, Division 5 or 6.
Marginal note:Requirements for system
(3) The tracking and communication system must allow the person who is monitoring the system to locate the vehicle at all times and must allow the driver and the person to communicate with one another.
Marginal note:Monitoring system
(4) The carrier must ensure that a person is monitoring the tracking and communication system at all times while the explosives are being transported and will notify the police in case of an emergency.
Marginal note:Vehicle attended
(2) However, up to 25 kg of high explosives (type E) and up to 100 detonators (type I) may be left unattended in a vehicle if
(a) the explosives have been removed from a factory magazine or licensed magazine for a specific purpose set out in their authorization;
(b) the explosives are stored in a Footnote *storage unit that has been serviced at the factory or magazine and is bolted or welded to the vehicle or, if the explosives are perforating guns, the guns are securely locked to the vehicle;
(c) no other item or substance that could increase the likelihood of an ignition is in the vehicle;
(d) a device or system is in place that will ensure that the vehicle is immobilized and that an alarm will alert the driver if an attempt is made to steal the explosives, tamper with the storage unit or tamper with or steal the vehicle; and
(e) if it is parked overnight, the vehicle is parked at least 30 m from any dwelling, highway or railway line and any place where flammable substances (for example, gasoline pumps, propane tanks or above-ground storage tanks for a flammable liquid or flammable gas) are stored.
Marginal note:Leftover explosives
(3) When the specific purpose for which the explosives were removed has been carried out or abandoned, the carrier and driver must ensure that any explosives remaining in the vehicle are stored in a factory or licensed magazine as soon as the circumstances permit.
Marginal note:Overnight parking
200 (1) If a vehicle that contains Footnote *explosives is to be parked overnight, the driver must park at a place where there is no open flame, match or any other thing that could increase the likelihood of an ignition. The distance between the parking place and any dwelling, any place where flammable substances (for example, gasoline pumps, propane tanks or above-ground storage tanks for flammable liquid or flammable gas) are stored and any area where people are likely to gather must be great enough to eliminate any possibility of harm to people and property in case of an ignition.
Marginal note:Vehicle attended
Marginal note:Accidents and incidents
201 (1) The driver of a vehicle that contains Footnote *explosives and is involved in an accident or incident that is likely to delay the delivery of the explosives must, as soon as the circumstances permit, notify the police and the carrier of the accident or incident and the delay.
(2) The carrier must, as soon as the circumstances permit, report the accident or incident to an inspector. The carrier must ensure that any damaged explosives are transported as soon as the circumstances permit to any location that the Minister designates and any undamaged explosives are transported to their destination or to a safe and secure location as soon as the circumstances permit.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 38.
Transporting Explosives in a Means of Transport Other Than a Vehicle
Marginal note:Loading and unloading
202 (1) The carrier must ensure that, while Footnote *explosives are being loaded into or unloaded from a means of transport other than a vehicle, precautions that minimize the likelihood of an ignition are taken. The carrier must also ensure that only activities that are necessary for loading or unloading the explosives are carried out in the immediate vicinity.
(2) The carrier must ensure that precautions that prevent unauthorized people from having access to the explosives during loading or unloading are taken, as well as precautions that prevent any person in the immediate vicinity from doing anything that might increase the likelihood of an ignition.
Marginal note:Throwing or dropping explosives
(3) The carrier must ensure that packages or containers of explosives are not thrown or dropped during the loading or unloading of the explosives.
Marginal note:Securing explosives
(4) The carrier must ensure that the explosives are stowed and secured in a manner that eliminates any possibility of an ignition, including ignition by another item or substance that is also being transported.
- Date modified: