P.C. 2016-616 2016-06-21
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Health, pursuant to section 37 of the Canada Consumer Product Safety ActFootnote a, makes the annexed Playpens Regulations.
Return to footnote aS.C. 2010, c. 21
Marginal note:Toxic substance
2 Any part of a playpen that is made of textile or other pliable material must have a flame spread time greater than seven seconds when tested in accordance with the Canadian General Standards Board standard CAN/CGSB-4.2 No. 27.5, entitled Textile Test Methods: Flame Resistance — 45° Angle Test — One-Second Flame Impingement, as amended from time to time.
3 A playpen must be stitched using lock stitching.
Marginal note:Height of sides
4 The minimum height of a playpen side, measured from the top of the floor of the playpen to the top of the upper framing of the playpen, must be 480 mm.
5 All support points of a playpen must remain in contact with the inclined plane of the plywood when tested in accordance with Schedule 1.
Marginal note:Mesh — strength and integrity
6 (1) Any mesh made of textile or other pliable material that forms part of the sides, top or bottom of a playpen must not, when tested in accordance with Schedule 2, tear or become detached from its supporting structure or anything to which it is attached.
Marginal note:Mesh — size of openings
(2) The openings in any mesh made of textile or other pliable material that forms part of the sides, top or bottom of a playpen must be of such a size that the tip of the probe described in Schedule 3 is unable to pass through the openings when tested in accordance with that Schedule.
Marginal note:Scissoring, shearing or pinching
7 A playpen must be free from any part that may cause injury to the occupant due to scissoring, shearing or pinching.
Marginal note:Parts — wood or plastic
Marginal note:Parts — metal
(2) Every part of a playpen that is made of metal must be free from burrs and smoothly finished to eliminate sharp edges, corners and points.
Marginal note:Metal tubing
(3) Every cut edge of any metal tubing of a playpen that is accessible to the occupant must be protected by a cap that remains in place when subjected to a force of 90 N applied in any direction.
(4) The threaded end of every bolt of a playpen must, if the end is accessible to the occupant, be covered by an acorn nut or a device that offers equivalent protection.
Marginal note:Small parts
9 Every part of a playpen that is accessible to the occupant and is small enough to be totally enclosed in the small parts cylinder illustrated in Schedule 4 must be affixed to the playpen so that on the application in any direction of a force of 90 N to the part, it does not detach from the playpen.
10 Every open hole in a wooden, plastic or metal part, or a part of similar material, of a playpen must, if the hole is accessible to the occupant, be less than 3 mm or more than 10 mm in diameter.
Marginal note:Cord or strap — maximum length
11 Any cord, strap or similar item having a free, stretched length in excess of 180 mm must not be attached to a playpen.
Marginal note:Floor strength
12 The floor of a playpen must be capable of supporting a load of 22 kg uniformly distributed over an area of 4.5 × 104 mm2 for a period of one minute without visually perceptible damage to the playpen.
Marginal note:Wheels or casters
13 A playpen must not be equipped with more than two wheels or casters or provisions for attaching them.
Marginal note:Folding playpen
14 A playpen that folds must contain a locking device or other design feature that prevents it from folding or collapsing when tested in accordance with Schedule 1.
15 The information required by these Regulations, excluding the assembly instructions referred to in subsection 16(3), must be
(a) in English and French;
(b) indelibly printed on or permanently affixed to the playpen or its packaging;
(c) clearly and prominently displayed; and
(d) in characters not less than 2.4 mm in height.
Marginal note:Information — general
(2) The following statement must appear immediately following the information required by subsection (1):
This product complies with the requirements of the Playpens Regulations (Canada)
Ce produit est conforme aux exigences du Règlement sur les parcs pour enfant (Canada)
Marginal note:Assembly instructions
(3) Every playpen must, unless sold fully assembled, carry or be accompanied by instructions, in English and French, that clearly state and show how the playpen is to be assembled.
Coming into Force
18 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
- Date modified: