Regulations Respecting the Deposit of Oil in Arctic Waters for Experimental Purposes by Dome Petroleum Limited or Canadian Marine Drilling Limited or Both
P.C. 1979-3506 1979-12-19
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, pursuant to section 4 of the Arctic Waters Pollution Prevention Act, is pleased hereby to make the annexed Regulations respecting the deposit of oil in Arctic Waters for experimental purposes by Dome Petroleum Limited or Canadian Marine Drilling Limited or both.
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Arctic Waters Experimental Pollution Regulations, 1979.
2. In these Regulations, “oil” means any hydrocarbons except coal and gas. (pétrole)
DEPOSIT OF OIL
3. Subject to these Regulations, Dome Petroleum Limited of Calgary, Alberta, or Canadian Marine Drilling Limited of Calgary, Alberta, or both, may deposit oil in that portion of the Arctic Ocean northwest of McKinley Bay between the following co-ordinates: latitudes 70°01′ and 70°06′ North, and longitudes 131°33′ and 131°35′ West, for the purpose of how successful burning would be as a countermeasure against a Beaufort Sea blowout under first year ice and to optimize burning techniques of oil and gas released from such a blowout.
4. No deposit of oil made pursuant to section 3 shall exceed 0.2 cubic metre and the aggregate of all such deposits shall not exceed 18.6 cubic metres.
5. Dome Petroleum Limited shall remedy any damage to property or the environment resulting from any deposit of oil made pursuant to section 3 within a reasonable period of time after completion of the project of study or research referred to in that section and, in any event, not later than July 31, 1980.
- Date modified: