17.5 (1) Every employer shall, after consultation with the work place committee or the health and safety representative and with the employers of any persons working in the building to whom the Act does not apply, prepare emergency procedures
(a) to be implemented if any person commits or threatens to commit an act that is likely to be hazardous to the health and safety of the employer or any of his or her employees;
(b) if there is a possibility of an accumulation, spill or leak of a hazardous substance in a work place controlled by the employer, to be implemented in the event of such an accumulation, spill or leak;
(c) if more than 50 employees are working in a building at any time, to be implemented when evacuation is not an appropriate means of ensuring the health and safety of employees;
(d) to be implemented in the event of a failure of the lighting system; and
(e) to be implemented in the event of a fire.
(2) The emergency procedures referred to in subsection (1) shall contain
(a) an emergency evacuation plan, where applicable, or a plan for evacuating employees who require special assistance to be implemented in the event of a fire;
(b) a full description of the procedures to be followed;
(c) the location of the emergency equipment provided by the employer; and
(d) a plan of the building, showing
(i) the name, if any, and the address of the building, and
(ii) the name and address of the owner of the building.
(3) The plan for the evacuation of employees who require special assistance shall be established in consultation with those employees.
- SOR/88-68, s. 14;
- SOR/94-263, s. 63;
- SOR/96-525, s. 18;
- SOR/2002-208, s. 37.
Instructions and Training
17.6 (1) Every employee shall be instructed and trained in
(a) the procedures to be followed by him in the event of an emergency; and
(b) the location, use and operation of fire protection equipment and emergency equipment provided by the employer.
(2) Notices that set out the details of the evacuation plans and procedures referred to in paragraphs 17.4(2)(c) and 17.5(2)(a) and (b) shall be posted at locations accessible to every employee at the work place.
- SOR/96-525, s. 19.
17.7 (1) Where an employer or employers have prepared an emergency evacuation plan for a building, the employer or employers shall appoint
(a) a chief emergency warden and a deputy chief emergency warden for that building;
(b) an emergency warden and a deputy emergency warden for each floor of the building that is occupied by employees of the employer or employers; and
(c) monitors for any employee who require special assistance in evacuating the building.
(2) The chief emergency warden and deputy chief emergency warden appointed for a building shall be employees who are normally employed in the building.
(3) The emergency warden and the deputy emergency warden appointed for a floor in a building shall be employees who are normally employed on that floor and monitors for an employee who requires special assistance shall be employees who are normally employed on the same floor as the employee requiring special assistance.
- SOR/96-525, s. 20.
- Date modified: