15.41 No mobile equipment shall be parked in any place where it may interfere with the safe movement of persons, materials, goods or things.
Materials Handling Area
15.42 (1) The main approaches to any materials handling area shall be posted with warning signs or shall be under the control of a signaller while operations are in progress.
(2) No person shall enter a materials handling area while operations are in progress unless that person
(a) is a safety officer;
(b) is an employee whose presence in the materials handling area is essential to the conduct, supervision or safety of the operations; or
(c) is a person who has been instructed by the employer to be in the materials handling area while operations are in progress.
(3) If any person other than a person referred to in subsection (2) enters a materials handling area while operations are in progress, the employer shall cause the operations in that area to be immediately discontinued and not resumed until that person has left the area.
15.43 Where mobile equipment designed for dumping is used to discharge a load that may cause the mobile equipment to tip,
(a) a bumping block shall be used, or
(b) a signaller shall give directions to the operator
to prevent the mobile equipment from tipping.
Enclosed Work Place
15.44 Every enclosed work place in which materials handling equipment powered by an internal combustion engine is used shall be ventilated in such a manner that the carbon monoxide concentration in the atmosphere of the work place does not exceed the value, level or percentage prescribed in section 11.23 of Part XI.
15.45 Where materials handling equipment is fuelled in a work place, the fuelling shall be done in accordance with the instructions given by the employer pursuant to section 15.23 in a place where the vapours from the fuel are readily dissipated.
15.46 No person shall operate a crane under conditions that are likely to create a hazard to any person, ship, aircraft, vehicle, load or structure or to the stability of the crane.
15.47 (1) Every crane shall
(a) have posted inside the crane control cab a load capacity chart that specifies the boom angle and safe working load for each block;
(b) be equipped with
(i) boom and block travel limiting devices, and
(ii) where the load rating of the crane is more than 5 t, a load measure device for the main block.
(2) All crane hooks shall be equipped with safety catches.
(3) No person shall move a crane in the vicinity of a helicopter deck when a helicopter is landing or taking off.
15.48 (1) Tag lines shall be used to control any swinging of a load that is being lifted by a crane except where the use of the lines may be hazardous to the safety of any person.
(2) Loads shall not be left hanging by a crane above the deck of a drilling unit or production facility unless the crane operator is at the controls of the crane.
- Date modified: