Labels of Bulk Shipments
18. For the purposes of subsection 11(2) of the Act, a label of a bulk shipment is included with or accompanies the bulk shipment when it is included with the shipping documents that accompany the bulk shipment.
Information to be Disclosed on Labels
19. (1) The label applied to a controlled product or the container in which a controlled product is packaged shall disclose, in respect of the controlled product, the following information:
(a) the product identifier;
(b) subject to subsections (3) and (4), the supplier identifier;
(c) a statement to the effect that a material safety data sheet is available;
(d) subject to subsection (5), hazard symbols set out in Column II of Schedule II that correspond with the classes in which the controlled product is included and the divisions into which the controlled product falls as set out in Column I of that Schedule; and
(e) where the container has a capacity of more than 100 millilitres, the following information:
(i) risk phrases that are appropriate to the controlled product or to the classes, divisions or subdivisions into which the controlled product falls,
(ii) precautionary measures to be followed when handling, using or being exposed to the controlled product, and
(iii) where appropriate, first aid measures to be taken in case of exposure to the controlled product.
(2) Paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) do not apply in respect of the sale of a controlled product to an employer who has filed a claim for exemption or is exempt under the Hazardous Materials Information Review Act or under the laws of a province from disclosing
(a) the chemical name, common name, generic name, trade name or brand name of a controlled product, if the label discloses the code name or code number specified by the supplier; or
(b) any information that could be used to identify the supplier of the controlled product, if that information is replaced by
(i) the information referred to in section 26 or 27, or
(ii) where the information referred to in section 26 or 27 is not available, the information required to be disclosed under the laws of the province.
(3) Where a controlled product is sold to a distributor for the purpose of sale or resale, the distributor is not required, in the information disclosed on the label under paragraph (1)(b), to disclose the supplier identifier of the distributor if the supplier identifier of the manufacturer or importer is disclosed on the label.
(4) Where a controlled product is packaged for a distributor by a manufacturer, the manufacturer is not required, in the information disclosed on the label under paragraph (1)(b), to disclose the supplier identifier of the manufacturer if the supplier identifier of the distributor is disclosed on the label.
(5) Where a controlled product falls into Divisions 1 and 2 of Class D — Poisonous and Infectious Material, paragraph (1)(d) does not apply in respect of the requirement to disclose on the label applied to the controlled product or the container in which the controlled product is packaged the hazard symbol set out in Column II of Schedule II that corresponds to Division 2 of Class D — Poisonous and Infectious Material as set out in Column I of that Schedule.
(6) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (e) do not apply to the sale or importation of a controlled product that is a mixture of one or more radioactive nuclides and one or more non-radioactive carrier materials.
- SOR/2001-254, s. 7.
- Date modified: