Standards and Identification of Meat Products or Use as Animal Food
(a) it is harvested and handled in a registered establishment;
(a.1) it is not derived from, and does not contain, specified risk material in any form, whether or not incorporated into another thing, that originated in Canada or in a country, or a part of a country, other than a country or part of a country that is designated under section 7 of the Health of Animals Regulations as posing a negligible risk for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy;
(b) an official veterinarian has determined that its use as animal food would not pose a risk to the health of any animal that consumes it; and
(c) it is denatured.
(2) A meat product, other than a condemned meat product, may be identified in a registered establishment for use as animal food without being denatured if it is not likely to be mistaken for an edible meat product.
- SOR/92-292, s. 5;
- SOR/2001-167, s. 27(F);
- SOR/2006-147, s. 31;
- SOR/2011-234, s. 3.
PART IIRegistration, Licensing, Maintenance, Operations and Thermal Processing
Registration of Establishments
27 (1) An application for the registration of an establishment for one or more of the following activities shall be made to the Executive Director for the area in which the establishment is or is to be located, in a form approved by the Director:
(a) the slaughter of food animals;
(b) the processing of meat products;
(c) the inspection of imported or detained meat products requiring refrigeration or freezing;
(d) the inspection of imported or detained meat products not requiring refrigeration or freezing;
(e) the packaging and labelling of meat products;
(f) the refrigeration, freezing and storage of refrigerated and frozen meat products; and
(g) the storage of meat products not requiring refrigeration or freezing.
(2) [Repealed, SOR/2011-234, s. 4]
(3) If an establishment in respect of which an application referred to in subsection (1) has been made complies with the requirements prescribed by section 28, the Director shall register the establishment in the Register of Establishments of the Agency and shall assign it a registration number.
(4) The registration of an establishment for an activity set out in subsection (1)
(5) The Director may cancel the registration of an establishment where the establishment ceases to comply with section 28.
(6) No registration of an establishment shall be cancelled under subsection (5) unless
(a) an inspector has notified the operator that the establishment has ceased to comply with section 28;
(b) a copy of an inspection report has been delivered to the owner of the registered establishment and to the operator, where the owner is not the operator,
(c) the establishment has not been brought into compliance with the provisions of section 28 referred to in subparagraph (b)(i) within the period of time specified in the inspection report;
(d) the owner of the registered establishment has been given an opportunity to be heard in respect of the cancellation; and
(e) a Notice of Cancellation of Registration in a form approved by the Director is delivered to the owner of the registered establishment.
- SOR/2000-184, ss. 73, 80;
- SOR/2001-167, s. 4;
- SOR/2003-6, s. 84;
- SOR/2004-280, s. 7;
- SOR/2011-205, s. 43(F);
- SOR/2011-234, s. 4.
(a) be situated on land that
(b) be of sound construction and in good repair;
(c) be constructed of material that is suitable for the purpose for which it is to be used and is durable and free of any noxious constituent;
(d) be separate from and have no direct access to living quarters or any other area in which activities are carried out that are incompatible with the handling of a meat product;
(e) be protected against the entrance of birds, other than those intended for slaughter, and insects, rodents and other vermin or any similar thing likely to contaminate meat products;
(f) have floors, walls and ceilings that are hard and smooth and otherwise constructed in such a way that they can be cleaned and are impervious to moisture at the locations in the establishment where
(g) have rooms and areas with adequate lighting, ventilation and plumbing to meet the requirements of the activities carried out therein and constructed so as to facilitate their cleaning and disinfection;
(h) be equipped, in areas where food, food additives or packaging materials are exposed, with light bulbs and fixtures that are of a type that will not cause food contamination in the event of breakage;
(i) have a sufficient number of rooms to accommodate the separation of incompatible activities;
(j) have loading and unloading facilities;
(k) have facilities for the cleaning of protective clothing, if an application for registration is made for one of the activities set out in paragraph 27(1)(a),(b), (c), (e) or (f);
(k.1) have handwashing facilities that are operated hands-free and drained directly, and in sufficient number to maintain sanitary conditions, given the number of employees and nature of the anticipated activities in the establishment, and that are situated in locations that are readily accessible to maintain such conditions;
(l) have outside shipping and receiving areas that are adequately drained to avoid standing or pooled water, with a surface that is hard, smooth and impervious to moisture;
(m) have lavatories and, where appropriate, dressing rooms and lunch rooms that are
(n) subject to subsection (2), be capable of supplying potable hot and cold water that is protected against contamination and is adequate in quantity and pressure to serve the water needs of the establishment;
(o) have adequate means of waste removal and disposal;
(p) have drainage and sewage systems that
(q) have, for the slaughter of food animals and for the inspection, handling and storing of meat products, equipment that is
(r) have food contact surfaces that are
(s) have adequate facilities and means for the thorough washing, cleaning and sanitizing of equipment;
(t) have facilities for the holding and detention of meat products, which facilities are capable of being locked and are under the control of an inspector;
(u) have, where utensils are used in the handling of a meat product, water sanitizers that are capable of being maintained at a temperature of not less than 82°C for the sanitizing of the utensils;
(v) have adequate means of establishing, maintaining and verifying the temperature and humidity of rooms and areas where meat products are refrigerated, frozen, stored, processed, packaged or labelled; and
(w) have, for every room where pork products are frozen for the destruction of trichinae or where meat products packed in hermetically sealed containers are incubated, a self-recording thermometer.
(2) An establishment registered pursuant to subsection 27(3) may supply water other than potable water referred to in paragraph (1)(n) where it is used solely for fire protection, boilers or auxiliary services and there is no connection between the system for that water and the system for potable water.
(3) In addition to the requirements set out in subsection (1), every registered establishment in which food animals are slaughtered shall
(a) be equipped with
(b) have a separate area that is capable of accommodating crates or that is equipped with pens for
(i) the housing and inspection of food animals of each species apart from food animals of all other species,
(ii) the segregation of food animals considered to be a danger to other food animals, and
(iii) the holding of food animals that are injured, sick or suspected of being sick, or identified as being held or condemned in accordance with Part III;
(c) be equipped with facilities for
(d) have all floors, ramps, gangways and chutes constructed and maintained in a manner that provides secure footing for food animals during movement and prevents injury during movement.
(e) and (f) [Repealed, SOR/2011-234, s. 5]
(4) In addition to the requirements set out in subsections (1) and (3), every registered establishment in which birds are slaughtered shall be provided with facilities for cleaning and disinfecting crates and transport containers used for the conveyance of birds to the establishment.
(5) In addition to the requirements set out in subsection (1), every registered establishment in which meat products are processed, packaged or labelled shall have
(6) In addition to the requirements set out in subsection (1), every registered establishment in which meat products are refrigerated, frozen or stored in a refrigerated or frozen condition and in which imported or detained meat products are inspected shall have
- SOR/93-160, s. 5;
- SOR/2001-167, s. 5;
- SOR/2003-6, s. 85;
- SOR/2011-234, s. 5.
- Date modified: