Meat Inspection Regulations, 1990
34 (1) Every operator of a registered establishment shall possess and maintain the equipment and material necessary to operate the registered establishment in accordance with the Manual of Procedures.
(1.1) The building, equipment, utensils, transport containers and all other facilities of a registered establishment shall be maintained in a sanitary condition.
(2) Every operator of a registered establishment shall develop, implement and maintain a written sanitation program to ensure compliance with subsection (1).
(2.1) The sanitation program shall be prepared and maintained in accordance with the FSEP Manual and the Manual of Procedures and shall contain
(a) the name, business address, business telephone number and title of the persons who are responsible for carrying out the program;
(b) the measures to be taken to maintain in a sanitary condition before and during operations, the building, equipment, utensils, transport containers and all other facilities of the registered establishment;
(c) the frequency of the cleaning and sanitizing activities;
(d) a description of the equipment and chemical agents to be used;
(e) the concentration, temperature and other specifications for the detergent, sanitizer or other chemical agent to be used; and
(f) the monitoring activities put in place by the operator to demonstrate the effectiveness of the sanitation program, including any environmental testing.
(2.2) Every operator shall keep in the registered establishment, for a period of not less than one year after the date of the activity or procedure, records that contain information about
(3) No equipment shall be cleaned, washed, disinfected or serviced in any room in a registered establishment at any time if, in so doing, there is the slightest risk that a meat product be contaminated.
(4) No equipment shall be used in a registered establishment to slaughter a food animal, dress a carcass or inspect, grade, process, package or label a meat product unless the equipment complies with the requirements set out in paragraph 28(1)(q).
(5) Every container or other equipment used in the collection and conveyance of an inedible meat product to the inedible products area of a registered establishment shall be clearly identified and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before being admitted to any other part of the establishment.
(6) No crate or transport container used to transport a bird to a registered establishment for slaughter shall be admitted to the registered establishment unless the crate or transport container was cleaned before transport.
(7) Every crate and transport container that has been used for the purpose referred to in subsection (6) shall be cleaned and disinfected thoroughly before it leaves the registered establishment.
(8) The walls, ceilings, floors, doors, windows and other parts of any area of a registered establishment where food animals are slaughtered, carcasses are dressed or meat products are refrigerated, frozen, stored, processed, packaged, labelled, shipped, received or otherwise handled shall not be composed of any material, or have applied to them any coating, other than a material or coating that is durable and does not contain any noxious constituent.
(9) All lavatories, sinks and drains in a registered establishment shall be maintained in a manner that prevents any odours or fumes therefrom from pervading any room where meat products are refrigerated, stored, processed, packaged, labelled or otherwise handled.
(10) Every operator of a registered establishment shall develop, implement and maintain a written pest control program that is effective and safe and that conforms to the requirements set out in the FSEP Manual and the Manual of Procedures.
(10.1) No animal shall be used to control pests in a registered establishment.
(11) Every detergent, sanitizer or other chemical agent used in a registered establishment shall be properly labelled and stored and used in a manner that prevents contamination of meat products, ingredients, packaging and labelling material and of the surfaces with which they come into contact.
(11.1) Every detergent, sanitizer or other chemical agent used in a registered establishment shall be handled only by a person trained to use it.
(12) Where steam is used in the processing of a meat product in a registered establishment, the steam shall be generated from potable water and shall contain no harmful substances and the supply of steam shall be adequate in quantity and pressure to serve all the needs of the establishment.
(13) Notices shall be posted in prominent places in a registered establishment instructing employees engaged in the dressing of carcasses or the processing, packaging, labelling, storing or other handling of food to clean their hands immediately after using toilet facilities.
- SOR/92-292, s. 6;
- SOR/94-683, s. 4;
- SOR/2004-280, s. 11.
- Date modified: