Meat Inspection Regulations, 1990
67 (1) Subject to subsection (9), every operator who slaughters a bird, other than an ostrich, a rhea or an emu, shall perform, within 24 hours before the time of slaughter, an ante mortem examination of the bird under the supervision of an official veterinarian.
(2) Subject to subsection (9), no food animal shall be slaughtered in a registered establishment unless the animal has been subjected, within 24 hours before the time of slaughter, to
(3) No food animal shall be slaughtered in a registered establishment unless the slaughter has been authorized by an inspector.
(4) On the request of an inspector, the operator shall present a bird, other than an ostrich, a rhea or an emu, to the inspector for an ante-mortem inspection, even if the slaughter of the bird has been authorized under subsection (3).
(5) The operator shall not slaughter a bird that was the subject of a request under subsection (4) unless an inspector has, after that request, inspected the bird and authorized the slaughter of the bird.
(6) Subject to subsection (7), if an operator or an inspector who is not an official veterinarian suspects, in the course of the ante-mortem examination or the ante-mortem inspection of a food animal, that the food animal shows a deviation from normal behaviour or appearance, the food animal shall be held and referred to an official veterinarian for a detailed inspection and instructions regarding its disposition.
(7) An official veterinarian may instruct an operator or an inspector who is not an official veterinarian that food animals with certain deviations from normal behaviour or appearance
(8) An operator shall comply with any instructions from an official veterinarian under subsection (6) or (7).
(9) The Director may specify how an ante-mortem examination or ante-mortem inspection is to be performed, including
(a) the methods and equipment that shall be used; and
(b) the criteria that the operator or the inspector shall take into account in determining whether the ante-mortem examination or the ante-mortem inspection of a shipment of food animals may be performed by
- SOR/2001-167, s. 11;
- SOR/2004-280, s. 20.
- Date modified: