OWNER OF A MILL
3. The owner of a mill shall ensure that the operator operates the mill in accordance with these Regulations.
4. (1) Subject to subsection (2), effective July 1, 1992, no operator shall release or permit to be released into the environment final effluent that contains any measurable concentration of 2,3,7,8-TCDD or measurable concentration of 2,3,7,8-TCDF.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply before January 1, 1994 to an operator in charge of a chlorine bleaching plant that commenced operation before June 1, 1990 who submits to the Minister, within 60 days after the coming into force of these Regulations, plans, specifications and schedules for the implementation of measures that will enable the operator to achieve compliance with subsection (1).
5. For the purposes of these Regulations, samples shall be taken and concentrations shall be measured in accordance with the Reference Method.
MONITORING AND REPORTING
6. (1) Effective July 1, 1992, the operator shall take samples of the final effluent in accordance with the sampling schedule for final effluent set out in Schedule I.
(2) Effective July 1, 1992, the operator shall report to the Minister the concentrations of the substances set out in Schedule II that are in the final effluent samples, and the effluent flowrate of the final effluent.
7. (1) The Minister may, in writing, request that the operator conduct, within the time set out in the request,
(a) specified tests to determine the presence of PCDDs and PCDFs in the final effluent, intermediate effluent and in the pulp and sludge produced in the mill;
(b) specified tests to determine the effect of operating conditions in the mill on the concentration of PCDDs and PCDFs; and
(c) toxicological studies on the final effluent, intermediate effluent and in the pulp and sludge produced in the mill.
(2) The Minister may, in writing, request that the operator submit, within the time set out in the request,
(a) results of the tests and studies conducted pursuant to subsection (1); and
(b) information relating to the presence of PCDDs and PCDFs in the final effluent, intermediate effluent and in the pulp and sludge produced in the mill and relating to the operating conditions of the mill.
(3) The operator shall conduct any test and study and submit any information requested by the Minister pursuant to subsection (1) or (2) within the time set out in the request.
(4) The information specified in subsection 6(2) shall be submitted to the Minister within 60 days after the day on which any sample is taken pursuant to Schedule I.
(5) An operator who submits to the Minister information respecting the concentration of substances pursuant to subsection 6(2) shall also submit the information required by the Reference Method.
(6) The information referred to in section 6 shall be submitted in writing or in an electronic format, where the electronic format is provided by the Department of the Environment.
(7) Any report or information that is submitted to the Minister pursuant to this section shall be signed by the operator.
- Date modified: