Ceasing to be a Full-time Student
8. (1) Subject to paragraphs 5(3)(b) and 7(2)(b), the borrower ceases to be a full-time student on the earliest of
(a) the last day of the last confirmed period,
(b) the last day of the month in which the borrower no longer meets the applicable minimum percentage referred to in the definition “full-time student” in subsection 2(1), and
(c) the applicable day, other than the applicable day referred to in paragraph 15(1)(j), on which the borrower’s interest-free period is terminated in accordance with section 15.
(2) Despite subsection (1), a borrower who is a member of the reserve force and who interrupts their program of studies to serve on a designated operation ceases to be a full-time student on the last day of the month in which their service on the designated operation ends. However, if, as a result of the date on which their service on the designated operation ends, the borrower is unable to continue in a program of studies within six months after that date, the Minister may, on application, delay by up to six months the date on which the borrower ceases to be a full-time student.
(3) A borrower referred to in subsection (2) must, no later than 30 days after receipt of their posting message provided by the Department of National Defence unless circumstances beyond the control of the borrower necessitate a longer period, notify the Minister in the prescribed form that they will be serving on the designated operation and provide the Minister with
(a) their social insurance number;
(b) a list of their outstanding student loans, guaranteed student loans and provincial loans;
(c) a copy of the posting message; and
(d) at the request of the Minister, any information that is necessary to enable the Minister to assess whether the borrower meets the requirements of subsection (2).
(4) If a borrower referred to in subsection (2) is unable to continue full-time in a program of studies as a result of an injury or disease that is attributable to or was incurred during the designated operation or the aggravation of an injury or disease, if the aggravation was attributable to or was incurred during the designated operation, the borrower ceases to be a full-time student on the earlier of the day
(a) on which the Minister determines that the injury or disease, or the aggravation of the injury or disease, no longer precludes the borrower from returning to a program of studies; and
(b) that is 2 years after the day on which the borrower’s service on the designated operation ended.
(5) The following definitions apply in this section:
- SOR/96-368, s. 2;
- SOR/2008-187, s. 3;
- SOR/2009-201, s. 1;
- SOR/2011-96, s. 5;
- SOR/2012-68, s. 4.
- Date modified: