Appointments of Representative
78. For the purposes of section 29 of the Act, an appointment of a representative in Canada shall be included in the petition in accordance with section 5 of Form 3 of Schedule I or in a separate document.
- SOR/2007-90, s. 17(E).
78.1 [Repealed, SOR/2009-319, s. 9]
79. (1) An application shall contain an abstract that provides technical information and that cannot be taken into account for the purpose of interpreting the scope of protection sought or obtained.
(2) The abstract shall contain a concise summary of the matter contained in the application and, where applicable, the chemical formula that, among all the formulae included in the application, best characterizes the invention.
(3) The abstract shall specify the technical field to which the invention relates.
(4) The abstract shall be drafted in a way that allows the clear understanding of the technical problem, the gist of the solution of that problem through the invention, and the principal use or uses of the invention.
(5) The abstract shall be so drafted that it can efficiently serve as a scanning tool for purposes of searching in the particular art.
(6) The abstract shall not contain more than 150 words.
(7) Each main technical feature mentioned in the abstract and illustrated by a drawing in the application may be followed by a reference character placed between parentheses.
80. (1) The description shall
(a) state the title of the invention, which shall be short and precise and shall not include a trade-mark, coined word or personal name;
(b) specify the technical field to which the invention relates;
(c) describe the background art that, as far as is known to the applicant, can be regarded as important for the understanding, searching and examination of the invention;
(d) describe the invention in terms that allow the understanding of the technical problem, even if not expressly stated as such, and its solution;
(e) briefly describe the figures in the drawings, if any;
(f) set forth at least one mode contemplated by the inventor for carrying out the invention in terms of examples, where appropriate, and with reference to the drawings, if any; and
(g) contain a sequence listing where required by subsection 111(1).
(2) The description shall be presented in the manner and order specified in subsection (1) unless, because of the nature of the invention, a different manner or a different order would afford a better understanding or a more economical presentation.
- SOR/2007-90, s. 19.
81. (1) The description shall not incorporate by reference another document.
(2) The description shall not refer to a document that does not form part of the application unless the document is available to the public.
(3) Any document referred to in the description shall be fully identified.
- SOR/99-291, s. 8.
- Date modified: