Subpart 73 — Approved Maintenance Organizations
Division I — General
Application for Approval
573.01 (1) An applicant for an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate or for an amendment of an AMO certificate that is in effect shall make an application in the form and manner specified in Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations.
(2) An applicant referred to in subsection (1) shall submit to the Minister with the application a copy of its maintenance policy manual (MPM) required pursuant to subsection 573.10(1).
- SOR/2005-173, s. 28.
Entitlement to and Scope of Certificate
573.02 (1) The Minister shall issue to a maintenance organization that demonstrates that it meets the requirements of this Subpart an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate authorizing the maintenance of specified aeronautical products or the provision of specified maintenance services.
(2) The AMO certificate shall specify, in accordance with the criteria specified in section 573.02 of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations, any category in which ratings have been issued and shall list the aeronautical products that the AMO is authorized to maintain or the maintenance services that the AMO is authorized to perform.
(3) The scope of the work that may be performed under each rating specified on the AMO certificate is determined by limitations that are set out in the certificate.
(4) Unless an expiry date is specified in an AMO certificate issued pursuant to subsection (1), the certificate remains in effect until it is surrendered, suspended or cancelled.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 15.
Duties of Certificate Holder
573.03 (1) The holder of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate shall
(a) appoint a person responsible for maintenance;
(b) ensure that the person responsible for maintenance meets the requirement set out in subsection 573.04(1);
(c) subject to subsection (4), ensure that the person responsible for maintenance
(i) has achieved a grade of 70% or more in an open-book examination that demonstrates knowledge of the provisions of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and
(ii) meets the experience requirement set out in subsection 573.04(1) of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations;
(d) ensure that the person responsible for maintenance demonstrates to the Minister knowledge of the topics set out in subsection 573.04(2) of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations within 30 days after their appointment;
(e) ensure that the person responsible for maintenance performs the duties referred to in subsections 573.04(2) and (3) and 573.09(2) and (3);
(f) provide the person responsible for maintenance with the financial and human resources necessary to ensure that the holder of the AMO certificate meets the requirements of these Regulations;
(g) ensure that corrective actions are taken in respect of any findings resulting from a quality assurance program established under subsection 573.09(1) or a safety management system referred to in section 573.30; and
(h) conduct reviews of the safety management system to determine its effectiveness.
(2) The Minister shall conduct an interview with the person appointed under paragraph (1)(a) to assess their knowledge of the topics referred to in paragraph (1)(d).
(3) The Minister shall notify the person appointed under paragraph (1)(a) of the results of the assessment and identify any deficiencies in their knowledge of the topics within ten days after the interview.
(4) The knowledge requirement set out in subparagraph (1)(c)(i) does not apply in respect of
(a) a person responsible for maintenance who held that position on January 1, 1997; or
(b) the holder of an aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) licence.
(5) The experience requirement set out in subsection 573.04(1) of Standard 573 — Approved Maintenance Organizations does not apply in the case of an AMO certificate in respect of which no rating in the aircraft, avionics, instrument, engine or propeller category has been issued if the accountable executive can demonstrate to the Minister by means of a risk assessment that the lesser experience is appropriate to the scope of work performed by the AMO and will not affect aviation safety or the safety of the public.
(6) The holder of an AMO certificate shall ensure that no person is appointed to be responsible for maintenance or remains responsible for maintenance if, at the time of their appointment or during their tenure, they have a record of conviction for
(a) an offence under section 7.3 of the Act; or
(b) two or more offences under any of sections 571.10 and 571.11 not arising from a single occurrence.
(7) The holder of a certificate referred to in subsection (1) shall ensure that the person managing the safety management system who is referred to in section 573.32 performs the duties set out in that section.
- SOR/2005-173, s. 16;
- SOR/2005-357, s. 5.
- Date modified: