Maintenance Policy Manual
573.10 (1) An approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall establish, maintain and authorize the use of a maintenance policy manual (MPM) that contains information to ensure the efficiency of the AMO’s maintenance policies, dealing with the subjects set out in Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations.
(2) The Minister may authorize the incorporation by reference in an MPM of detailed procedures manuals and lists prepared by the AMO certificate holder, dealing with the subjects set out in Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations, where
(a) the policy affecting those detailed procedures and the composition of the lists is set out in the MPM;
(b) each incorporation is clearly indicated in the MPM; and
(c) the AMO certificate holder ensures that the incorporated procedures manuals and lists meet the requirements of this section.
(3) Where detailed procedures manuals or lists are being incorporated by reference in an MPM, the person appointed pursuant to section 573.03 or another person to whom that management function is assigned pursuant to section 573.04 shall certify in writing that the incorporated documents and every amendment thereto meet the requirements of the policy established in the MPM with respect to those documents.
(4) An AMO certificate holder need not conform to the policy and procedures contained in its MPM, where the Minister has authorized the non-conformity in writing, after it has been demonstrated that such non-conformity would not affect the safety of the aeronautical product to be maintained or the maintenance service to be offered.
(5) An AMO certificate holder shall submit each page of its MPM to the Minister for approval, either individually or in accordance with a procedure that ensures compliance with the requirements of Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations.
(6) An AMO certificate holder shall amend its MPM when instructed to do so by the Minister, where the MPM does not
(a) meet the requirements of this Subpart; or
(b) contain policies or procedures that are sufficiently detailed to demonstrate that the AMO’s quality assurance program meets the requirements of these Regulations.
(7) An AMO certificate holder shall take steps to ensure that a current copy of its MPM, or the portions thereof that are relevant to the task to be performed, is made available to each person who performs or certifies that task.
(8) An AMO certificate holder shall amend each copy of its MPM within 30 days after receiving an approval issued pursuant to subsection (5).
(9) The Minister shall, if the standards set out in Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations are met, approve an MPM and any amendments to that manual.
- SOR/2000-404, s. 12;
- SOR/2005-173, s. 28.
573.11 (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), no approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate holder shall permit an external agent to perform maintenance on its behalf unless
(a) the external agent holds an AMO certificate with a rating of a category specified pursuant to section 573.02 that is appropriate to the type of work to be performed or the aeronautical product to be maintained;
(b) where the work is to be performed outside Canada, the external agent has been authorized to do the type of work to be performed or to perform maintenance on the type of aeronautical product to be maintained under the laws of a state that is party to an agreement with Canada and the agreement provides for the recognition of maintenance functions; or
(c) in all other cases, the performance of the maintenance by the person or organization has been approved by the Minister as being in conformity with these Regulations.
(2) Subject to subsection (4), an AMO certificate holder may permit work to be performed by an external agent other than an agent described in subsection (1) where the work is performed in accordance with an arrangement that provides for it, under the direct supervision of the person appointed pursuant to section 573.03 or 573.04 and certified by persons authorized to do so in accordance with the approved procedures set out in the AMO’s maintenance policy manual (MPM).
(3) Arrangements respecting work to be performed by external agents pursuant to subsection (2) shall be made in accordance with procedures governing maintenance arrangements set out in the MPM or, if no such procedures are set out in the MPM, shall be approved by the Minister as ensuring conformity with the requirements of this Subpart.
(4) An AMO certificate holder that requests an external agent to perform work shall
(a) where the work is to be performed pursuant to subsection (1) or (2), be responsible for specifying the tasks to be performed by the agent and ensuring completion of the work; and
(b) where the work is to be performed pursuant to subsection (2), be responsible for ensuring the conformity of that work with the requirements of Subpart 71.
(5) A maintenance arrangement that is made by a foreign air operator to have its maintenance done in Canada by a person or organization that holds an AMO certificate issued pursuant to section 573.02 shall be authorized by a maintenance specification issued to the AMO in accordance with the requirements of Standard 573—Approved Maintenance Organizations, where the air operator is from a state that
(a) is party to an agreement with Canada that provides for recognition of the work performed and the issuance of a maintenance specification is specified in the agreement; or
(b) is not party to an agreement with Canada that provides for recognition of the work performed and the issuance of a maintenance specification is requested by that state.
- SOR/2005-173, s.28.
- Date modified: