Division IV — Technical Records
Requirement to Keep Technical Records
605.92 (1) Every owner of an aircraft shall keep the following technical records in respect of the aircraft:
(a) a journey log;
(b) subject to subsections (2) and (3), a separate technical record for the airframe, each installed engine and each variable-pitch propeller; and
(c) except where otherwise provided under the terms of a fleet empty weight and balance program referred to in subsection 706.06(3), an empty weight and balance report that meets the applicable standards set out in Chapter 571 of the Airworthiness Manual.
(2) The technical records required by paragraph (1)(b) may consist of separate technical records for each component installed in the airframe, engine or propeller.
(3) In the case of a balloon or glider, or an aircraft operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all entries in respect of the technical records referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) may be kept in the journey log.
- SOR/2002-112, s. 14.
Technical Records — General
605.93 (1) Every person who makes an entry in a technical record shall
(a) make the entry accurately, legibly and in a permanent manner;
(b) enter the person’s name and signature or employee identifier or, where the record is kept as electronic data, enter the person’s user code or an equivalent security designation; and
(c) date the entry.
(2) Where the owner of an aircraft keeps the technical records for the aircraft as electronic data, the owner shall ensure that the electronic data system that is used complies with section 103.04 and the Aircraft Equipment and Maintenance Standards.
(3) The owner of an aircraft shall ensure that all of the necessary measures are taken to protect the technical records for the aircraft from damage and loss.
(4) Every person who brings into use a new volume of an existing technical record shall make the entries relating to the preceding volume that are necessary to ensure that an unbroken chronological record is maintained.
(5) Subject to subsection (6), where a person alters an entry on a technical record for the purpose of correcting the entry, the person shall do so by striking out the incorrect entry in such a manner that the underlying information remains legible, and inserting the correct entry together with
(a) the date of the alteration;
(b) the reason for the alteration, if it is necessary to clarify why the alteration was made; and
(c) the person’s name and signature or employee identifier or, where the record is kept as electronic data, the person’s user code or equivalent security designation.
(6) Where a correction referred to in subsection (5) is being made to a technical record that is maintained as electronic data, the correction shall be made in a manner that does not render the original data inaccessible.
Journey Log Requirements
605.94 (1) The particulars set out in column I of an item in Schedule I to this Division shall be recorded in the journey log at the time set out in column II of the item and by the person responsible for making entries set out in column III of that item.
(2) No person shall make a single entry in a journey log in respect of a series of flights unless
(a) the aircraft is operated by the same pilot-in-command throughout the series; or
(b) a daily flight record is used pursuant to section 406.56.
(3) The owner of an aircraft shall retain every entry in a journey log for a period of not less than one year.
(4) Unless recorded in the operational flight plan or operational flight data sheet, the pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in a commercial air service and operating in international flight shall record in the journey log the following particulars in respect of each flight:
(a) the names of all of the crew members and their duty assignments;
(b) the places and times of departure and arrival;
(c) the flight time;
(d) the nature of the flight, such as private, aerial work, scheduled or non-scheduled; and
(e) any incidents or observations relating to the flight.
- SOR/2006-77, s. 23.
- Date modified: