Subpart 2 — Airports
Division I — General
302.01 (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Subpart applies in respect of
(a) an aerodrome that is located within the built-up area of a city or town;
(b) a land aerodrome that is used by an air operator for the purpose of a scheduled service for the transport of passengers; and
(c) any other aerodrome, other than an aerodrome referred to in subsection (2), in respect of which the Minister is of the opinion that meeting the requirements necessary for the issuance of an airport certificate would be in the public interest and would further the safe operation of the aerodrome.
(2) This Subpart does not apply in respect of
(a) a military aerodrome;
(b) a land aerodrome referred to in paragraph (1)(b) where the Minister has issued a written authorization for each air operator using the aerodrome to land at and take-off from the aerodrome; or
(3) The Minister shall issue an authorization referred to in paragraph (2)(b) where it is possible to specify conditions in the authorization that will ensure a level of safety in respect of the use of the aerodrome that is equivalent to the level of safety established by this Subpart, and, in any such authorization, the Minister shall specify those conditions.
- SOR/2007-87, s. 7.
Application for Airport Certificate
302.02 (1) An applicant for an airport certificate shall submit to the Minister for approval
(a) an application for an airport certificate; and
(b) a copy of the proposed airport operations manual in respect of the airport.
(2) The application referred to in paragraph (1)(a) shall be signed, in ink, by the applicant and shall be in the form set out in the aerodrome standards and recommended practices publications.
Issuance of Airport Certificate
302.03 (1) Subject to subsection 6.71(1) of the Act, the Minister shall issue an airport certificate to an applicant authorizing the applicant to operate an aerodrome as an airport if the proposed airport operations manual, submitted pursuant to paragraph 302.02(1)(b), is approved by the Minister pursuant to subsection (2) and
(a) the standards set out in the aerodrome standards and recommended practices publications are met; or
(b) on the basis of an aeronautical study, the Minister determines that
(i) the level of safety at the aerodrome is equivalent to that provided for by the standards set out in the aerodrome standards and recommended practices publications, and
(ii) the issuance of the airport certificate is in the public interest and not detrimental to aviation safety.
(2) The Minister shall approve a proposed airport operations manual if it
(a) accurately describes the physical specifications of the aerodrome; and
(b) conforms to the requirements set out in the aerodrome standards and recommended practices publications that apply in respect of an airport operations manual.
(3) Where an aerodrome does not meet a standard set out in the aerodrome standards and recommended practices publications, the Minister may specify in the airport certificate such conditions relating to the subject-matter of the standard as are necessary to ensure a level of safety equivalent to that established by the standard and as are necessary in the public interest and to ensure aviation safety.
- Date modified: