2. (1) Subject to subsection (2), these Regulations apply in the Province.
(2) These Regulations do not apply in respect of
(a) fishing in, or fish taken from, waters to which the National Parks Fishing Regulations apply;
(b) fishing in a fish culture facility; or
(c) fishing for, or the possession of, freshwater shrimp.
Variation of Close Times, Fishing Quotas and Limits
3. (1) If a close time, fishing quota or limit on the size or weight of fish is fixed in respect of an area under these Regulations, the Director may, by order, vary that close time, fishing quota or limit in respect of that area or any portion of it.
(2) If a close time, fishing quota or limit is varied under subsection (1), the Director shall give notice of the variation to the persons affected or likely to be affected by it, by one or more of the following methods:
(a) broadcasting the notice over a radio station that broadcasts in the area or vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(b) communicating the notice by telephone to those persons;
(c) posting the notice in the area or in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(d) having a fishery officer give oral notice of the variation to those persons;
(e) transmitting the notice via electronic means to those persons; or
(f) publishing the notice in
(i) a newspaper circulated in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation,
(ii) the Alberta Gazette,
(iii) the Guide to Sportfishing Regulations published on behalf of the Department, or
(iv) the Guide to Commercial Fishing Seasons published by the Department.
Waters Closed to All Fishing
4. Except as authorized by a Research Licence issued under the provincial Act, no person shall fish in the waters set out in column 1 of an item of Schedule 3 during a close time set out in column 2 of that item.
Possession and Use of Live Fish
5. No person shall possess live fish unless the person
(a) is authorized to do so under the provincial Act; or
(b) is engaged in angling, caught the fish in the waters in which the person is angling, and the fish are within 5 m of those waters.
- SOR/2012-21, s. 1.
6. No person shall place live fish in any waters other than the waters from which they were taken unless the person is authorized to do so by a licence issued under the provincial Act.
Release of Prohibited Fish
7. Every person who catches a fish the possession or retention of which is prohibited under these Regulations or the provincial Act shall immediately return that fish to the waters from which it was caught, and, if the fish is alive, release it in a manner that causes it the least harm.
- Date modified: