The Justice Laws Website provides an official consolidation, or updated version, of the federal Acts and regulations maintained by the Department of Justice as a convenient way for the public to view the state of the law, without having to carry out research and put together the various amended provisions.
What are consolidated Acts and regulations?
When the federal government makes changes to Canadian law, often it will create "amending" Acts or regulations. These amending documents make changes to existing laws. For example, if the government wishes to add a new offence to the Criminal Code, it will not rewrite the entire document or create a new, separate Code, but will create an amending Act. The amending Act will add new sections or make changes to existing sections of the Criminal Code. A consolidated Act or regulation is one that has been updated and incorporates the amendments into the original text.
Are the consolidated Acts and regulations the official versions?
As of June 1, 2009, all consolidated Acts and regulations on the Justice Laws Website are "official", meaning that they can be used for evidentiary purposes. This is the result of the coming into force on that date of amendments made to the Statute Revision Act, which has been renamed the Legislation Revision and Consolidation Act. For more information see the Important Note page and section 31 of the Legislation Revision and Consolidation Act.
Acts by title
Frequently Accessed Acts
- Access to Information Act PDF: 760 kB
- Canada Elections Act PDF: 3756 kB
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit Act PDF: 138 kB
- Canada Labour Code PDF: 2478 kB
- Competition Act PDF: 1045 kB
- Contraventions Act PDF: 329 kB
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act PDF: 650 kB
- Copyright Act PDF: 1192 kB
- COVID-19 Emergency Response Act PDF: 563 kB
- COVID-19 Emergency Response Act, No. 2 PDF: 287 kB
- Criminal Code PDF: 7237 kB
- Divorce Act PDF: 997 kB
- Financial Administration Act PDF: 1090 kB
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act PDF: 1200 kB
- Income Tax Act PDF: 19506 kB
- Pension Act PDF: 612 kB
- Privacy Act PDF: 523 kB
- Youth Criminal Justice Act PDF: 1058 kB
- Date modified: