Marginal note:Report to Review Committee
(2) The Minister may make a report to the Review Committee if the Minister is of the opinion that a person should not be granted citizenship under section 5 or subsection 11(1) or administered the oath of citizenship or be issued a certificate of renunciation under section 9 because there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person has engaged, is engaging or may engage in activity
Marginal note:Notice to be sent to person affected
(3) The Minister shall, within ten days after a report is made pursuant to subsection (2), cause a notice to be sent informing the person referred to in that subsection of the report and stating that following an investigation in relation thereto, a declaration with respect to that person may be made by the Governor in Council under section 20.
Marginal note:Application of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act
(4) Where a report is made to the Review Committee pursuant to subsection (2), the Review Committee shall investigate the grounds on which it is based and for that purpose subsections 39(2) and (3) and sections 43, 44 and 48 to 51 of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, to the investigation as if the investigation were conducted in relation to a complaint made pursuant to section 42 of that Act, except that a reference in any of those provisions to “deputy head” shall be read as a reference to the Minister.
Marginal note:Investigation to cease
(4.1) If the Review Committee is of the opinion that it cannot perform its duties described in subsections (4), (5) and (6), it must cease its investigation and give notice to the Minister and the person referred to in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Statement to be sent to person affected
(5) The Review Committee shall, as soon as practicable after a report is made to it pursuant to subsection (2), send to the person with respect to whom the report is made a statement summarizing such information available to it as will enable the person to be as fully informed as possible of the circumstances giving rise to the report.
(6) The Review Committee shall, on completion of an investigation made pursuant to subsection (4), make a report to the Governor in Council on all matters relating thereto and shall, at the same time as or after the report is made, provide the complainant with the conclusions of the report.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-29, s. 19
- 1992, c. 1, s. 144(F)
- 1997, c. 22, s. 1
- 2014, c. 22, s. 15
- Date modified: