PART 18General (continued)
Notice, Certificates and Other Documents (continued)
Marginal note:Certificate of corporation
275 (1) A certificate issued on behalf of a corporation stating any fact that is set out in the articles, the by-laws, a unanimous member agreement, the minutes of the meetings of the directors, a committee of directors or the members, or in a trust indenture or other contract to which the corporation is a party, may be signed by a director or an officer of the corporation.
Marginal note:Evidence of contents of certificate, certified extract and certified copy
(2) In the absence of evidence to the contrary, the following documents, when introduced as evidence in any civil, criminal or administrative action or proceeding, are proof of their contents:
(a) a certificate referred to in subsection (1);
(b) a document certified to be a true extract from the corporation’s register of directors, officers, members and debt obligation holders; and
(c) a document certified to be a true copy of minutes, or of an extract from minutes, of a meeting of members or directors or a committee of directors of the corporation.
Marginal note:Proof of authenticity
(3) A document that appears to be a certificate, certified extract or certified copy referred to in subsection (2) is presumed, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to be authentic.
Marginal note:Proof of membership or debt obligation
(4) An entry of a person’s name in a register of members or debt obligation holders of a corporation, or an entry in a debt obligation certificate issued by a corporation, is, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, proof that the person holds the membership or debt obligation described in the register or in the certificate.
Definition of statement
Marginal note:Sending of articles and statements
(2) If this Act requires that articles or a statement relating to a corporation be sent to the Director, on receiving the articles or statement in the form that the Director fixes, any other required documents and the required fees, the Director shall
(a) record the date of receipt;
(b) issue the appropriate certificate;
(c) send the certificate, or a copy, image or photographic, electronic or other reproduction of the certificate, to the corporation or its agent or mandatary; and
(d) publish a notice of the issuance of the certificate in a publication generally available to the public.
Marginal note:Date of certificate
(3) A certificate referred to in subsection (2) issued by the Director may be dated as of the day the Director receives the articles, statement or court order under which the certificate is issued or as of any later day specified by the court or person who signed the articles or statement.
Marginal note:Date of certificate
(4) Despite subsection (3), a certificate of discontinuance may be dated as of the day on which the corporation amalgamates, or is continued, under another Act.
Marginal note:Exception — failure to comply with Act
(5) The Director may refuse to issue the certificate if a notice that is required by section 20 or 128 or subsection 134(1) indicates that the corporation, after the issuance of the certificate, would not be in compliance with this Act.
Marginal note:Execution of documents
(2) Any articles, notice, resolution, requisition, statement or other document required or permitted to be executed or signed by more than one individual for the purposes of this Act may be executed or signed in several documents of similar form, each of which is executed or signed by one or more of the individuals. The documents, when duly executed or signed by all individuals required or permitted, as the case may be, to do so, are deemed to constitute one document for the purposes of this Act.
277.1 The Director must publish, in a publication generally available to the public, a notice of any decision made by the Director granting an application made under subsection 2(6), 104(3), 160(2), 162(5) or 171(2) or section 173, 190 or 271.
- 2018, c. 8, s. 103.
Marginal note:Annual return
278 Every corporation shall send to the Director an annual return in the form and within the period that the Director fixes.
279 (1) A person who has paid the required fee is entitled during usual business hours to examine and make copies of or take extracts from a document required by this Act or the regulations to be sent to the Director, except
(a) extracts obtained under subsection 24(1);
(b) a members or debt obligation holders list obtained under subsection 24(2);
(b.1) extracts or copies of corporate records or documents referred to in section 25;
(c) a copy of the documents obtained under section 177; and
(d) a report obtained under subsection 248(2).
Marginal note:Copies or extracts
(2) The Director shall, on request, furnish any person with a copy, extract, certified copy or certified extract of a document that may be examined under subsection (1).
- 2009, c. 23, s. 279;
- 2018, c. 8, s. 104.
Marginal note:Payment of fees
280 A fee in respect of the receipt or copying of any document shall be paid to the Director on the reception or copying, and a fee in respect of the acceptance, examination or issuance of any document or in respect of any action that the Director is required or authorized to take under this Act shall be paid to the Director before the acceptance, examination or issuance or the taking of the action.
Marginal note:Appointment of Director
281 The Minister shall appoint a Director and may appoint one or more Deputy Directors to carry out the duties and exercise the powers of the Director under this Act.
Marginal note:Content and form of documents
282 The Director may establish the requirements for the content and fix the form, including electronic or other forms, of notices and other documents sent to or issued by the Director under this Act and, in so doing, the Director may specify, among other things,
(a) the notices and documents that may be transmitted in electronic or other form;
(b) the persons or classes of persons who may sign or transmit the notices and documents;
(c) their signature in electronic or other form, or the actions that are to have the same effect for the purposes of this Act as their signature; and
(d) the time and circumstances when electronic notices and documents are to be considered to be sent or received, and the place where they are considered to have been sent or received.
(e) [Repealed, 2018, c. 8, s. 105]
- 2009, c. 23, s. 282;
- 2018, c. 8, s. 105.
Marginal note:Records of Director
Marginal note:Obligation to furnish
(2) If documents are kept by the Director otherwise than in written form,
Marginal note:Retention of records
(3) After the expiry of the prescribed period, the Director is not required to keep or produce a document other than
- Date modified: