Marginal note:Limitation period
34 Any proceedings by way of summary conviction in respect of an offence under this Act may be instituted at any time within but not later than two years after the time when the subject-matter of the proceedings arose.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 34
35 A complaint or information in respect of an offence under this Act may be heard, tried or determined by a court if the accused is resident or carrying on business within the territorial jurisdiction of that court, although the matter of the complaint or information did not arise in that territorial jurisdiction.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 35
Correction of Defects
Marginal note:Company to give notice of defects affecting fuel consumption
36 (1) Where a company has been convicted of an offence for contravening section 6 or subsection 19(1) on the basis of paragraph 6(1)(e) or 19(1)(e), as the case may be, and the convicting court is of the opinion that the dissimilarity was in the nature of a defect the result of which is that the registered fuel consumption number does not correctly represent the fuel consumption of that motor vehicle, the court may order the company to give notice forthwith, in the prescribed manner, containing a statement of the means to be taken to correct the defect at the company’s expense, to
(a) the person who has obtained that motor vehicle from the company for the purpose of sale or resale;
(b) the current owner of that motor vehicle as determined
(c) the Minister.
Marginal note:Company to correct defects at its own expense
(2) Where the court makes an order against a company under subsection (1), the company shall, forthwith after giving notice pursuant to that order, correct the defect at its own expense in respect of motor vehicles described in the order
Marginal note:Two year limitation
(3) A company’s obligation under subsection (2) does not extend to a motor vehicle presented to the company for correction of the defect more than two years after the company gave notice in respect of that motor vehicle pursuant to the court order made under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Notice by publication in newspapers
(4) Where it is made to appear to the satisfaction of the Minister that the name of the current owner of a motor vehicle cannot reasonably be determined in the manner provided under paragraph (1)(b),
(a) the Minister may order notice to be given by publication in the prescribed form for a period of five consecutive days in two major daily newspapers in each of the six regions of Canada, namely, the Atlantic provinces, Quebec, Ontario, the Prairie provinces, British Columbia, and the three territories, or by an alternative medium for any period that the Minister deems expedient, and the notice is deemed to be notice given in the manner prescribed for the purpose of subsection (1); or
(b) the Minister may, in his discretion, order that the current owner need not be notified and that the obligation to notify the current owner of any defect under subsection (1) has been discharged.
Marginal note:Quarterly reports to be submitted
(5) Every company that gives a notice mentioned in subsection (1) to the Minister shall submit to the Minister, in the prescribed form and manner, quarterly reports containing prescribed information relating to the defect.
(6) Unless the Minister otherwise directs, the quarterly reports referred to in subsection (5) shall be submitted to the Minister for a period of two years from the date of the notice mentioned in subsection (1).
- R.S., 1985, c. M-9, s. 36
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78
- 2002, c. 7, s. 208
37 The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, make regulations
(a) prescribing anything that is by this Act to be prescribed; and
(b) respecting such other matters or things as are necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 37
Report to Parliament
Marginal note:Annual report
38 The Minister and the Minister of Natural Resources shall, as soon as possible after the end of each year, prepare and cause to be laid before Parliament a report on the administration and enforcement of this Act for that year.
- R.S., 1985, c. M-9, s. 38
- 1994, c. 41, s. 37
Coming into Force
Marginal note:Coming into force
(2) Sections 3, 5 and 11 to 16 shall come into force on a day, not earlier than the day fixed under subsection (1), to be fixed by proclamation on the recommendation of the Minister and the Minister of Natural Resources.
Return to footnote *[Note: Act, except sections 3, 5 and 11 to 16, in force November 2, 2007, see SI/2007-109; sections 3, 5 and 11 to 16 in force November 2, 2007, see SI/2007-110.]
- R.S., 1985, c. M-9, s. 39
- 1994, c. 41, s. 37
- Date modified: