PART VIIIBusiness and Powers (continued)
General Business (continued)
Marginal note:Restriction on securities activities
415 A company shall not deal in Canada in securities to the extent prohibited or restricted by such regulations as the Governor in Council may make for the purposes of this section.
415.1 (1) It is prohibited for a company to issue a debt obligation in relation to which the amounts of principal and interest owing are guaranteed to be paid from loans or other assets held by an entity that is created and organized for the principal purpose of holding those loans or other assets and with the intention of legally isolating those loans or other assets from the company, unless
(b) the company is a registered issuer as defined in section 21.5 of that Act other than one whose right to issue covered bonds has been suspended; and
(c) the debt obligation is issued under a registered program as defined in section 21.5 of that Act.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations exempting any type of debt obligation from the application of subsection (1).
- 2012, c. 19, s. 361.
Marginal note:Restriction on insurance business
Marginal note:Restriction on acting as agent
(2) A company shall not act in Canada as agent for any person in the placing of insurance and shall not lease or provide space in any branch in Canada of the company to any person engaged in the placing of insurance.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the matters referred to in subsection (1) and regulations respecting relations between companies and
(4) Nothing in this section precludes a company from
Marginal note:No pressure
(5) No company shall exercise pressure on a borrower to place insurance for the security of the company in any particular insurance company, but a company may require that an insurance company chosen by a borrower meet with its approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld.
Definition of business of insurance
(6) In this section, business of insurance includes
(a) the issuance of any annuity if the liability in respect of the annuity is contingent on the death of a person; and
(b) the issuance of any debt obligation, any of whose terms and conditions are established on the basis of mortality considerations, under which the issuer is obliged to make periodic payments.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 416;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 205.
Marginal note:Restriction on leasing
417 A company shall not engage in Canada in any personal property leasing activity in which a financial leasing entity, within the meaning of subsection 449(1), is not permitted to engage.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 417;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 533.
Marginal note:Restriction on residential mortgages
418 (1) A company shall not make a loan in Canada on the security of residential property in Canada for the purpose of purchasing, renovating or improving that property, or refinance such a loan, if the amount of the loan, together with the amount then outstanding of any mortgage having an equal or prior claim against the property, would exceed 80 per cent of the value of the property at the time of the loan.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of
(a) a loan made or guaranteed under the National Housing Act or any other Act of Parliament by or pursuant to which a different limit on the value of property on the security of which the company may make a loan is established;
(b) a loan if repayment of the amount of the loan that exceeds the maximum amount set out in subsection (1) is guaranteed or insured by a government agency or a private insurer approved by the Superintendent;
(c) the acquisition by the company from an entity of securities issued or guaranteed by the entity that are secured on any residential property, whether in favour of a trustee or otherwise, or the making of a loan by the company to the entity against the issue of such securities; or
(d) a loan secured by a mortgage where
- 1991, c. 45, s. 418;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 377;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 359.
Marginal note:Restriction on charges to borrowers
418.1 (1) Subject to any regulations made under subsection (2), a company that has obtained insurance or a guarantee against default on a loan made in Canada on the security of residential property shall not charge a borrower an amount for the insurance or guarantee that exceeds the actual cost to the company of the insurance or guarantee.
(2) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) respecting the determination of the actual cost to a company for the purposes of subsection (1);
(b) respecting the circumstances in which a company is exempt from the application of subsection (1);
(c) respecting, in relation to insurance or a guarantee against default on a loan made by a company in Canada on the security of residential property,
(d) respecting any other matters necessary to carry out the purposes of subsection (1).
Marginal note:Regulations — disclosure
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the disclosure by a company of information relating to insurance or a guarantee against default on a loan made by the company in Canada on the security of residential property, including regulations respecting
(a) the information that must be disclosed, including information relating to
(i) the person who benefits from the insurance or guarantee,
(ii) the arrangements between the company, its representatives or its employees and the insurer or the insurer’s affiliates, and
(iii) the payments and benefits that the company, its representatives and its employees accept from an insurer or the insurer’s affiliates;
(b) the time and place at which, the form and manner in which and the persons to whom information is to be disclosed; and
(c) the circumstances under which a company is not required to disclose information.
- 2009, c. 2, s. 290;
- 2012, c. 5, s. 167(E).
Marginal note:Policies re security interests
419 (1) The directors of a company shall establish and the company shall adhere to policies regarding the creation of security interests in property of the company to secure obligations of the company and the acquisition by the company of beneficial interests in property that is subject to security interests.
Marginal note:Order to amend policies
(2) The Superintendent may, by order, direct a company to amend its policies as specified in the order.
(3) A company shall comply with an order made under subsection (2) within the time specified in the order.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 419;
- 1999, c. 31, s. 219(E);
- 2001, c. 9, s. 534;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 360(F).
- Date modified: