PART 2Customs Duties (continued)
DIVISION 4Special Measures, Emergency Measures and Safeguards (continued)
Safeguard Measures in Respect of China (continued)
77.7 The Governor in Council may make regulations for carrying out the purposes of sections 77.1 to 77.6 and may, by order, suspend a surtax or rate in whole or in part from application to any goods or any class of goods.
- 2002, c. 19, s. 7
Marginal note:Decision of Governor in Council final
77.8 The decision of the Governor in Council is final on any question that may arise regarding the application of the surtax or rate imposed under sections 77.1 to 77.6.
- 2002, c. 19, s. 7
Marginal note:Expiry date
77.9 Sections 77.1 to 77.8 cease to have effect on December 11, 2013.
- 2002, c. 19, s. 7
78 (1) If at any time it appears to the satisfaction of the Governor in Council, on a report of the Minister, that Canada’s external financial position and its balance of payments are such as to require special measures respecting Canadian imports, the Governor in Council may, by order, subject goods that originate in a country or that are entitled to any tariff treatment under regulations made under section 16, or any class of such goods, to a surtax that is in addition to the duties imposed under this Act.
Marginal note:Amount of surtax
(2) A surtax referred to in subsection (1) may differ in amount for different goods or classes of goods.
Marginal note:Order ceases to have effect unless approved by Parliament
(3) An order the period of which is longer than 180 days ceases to have effect on the one hundred and eightieth day after it is made if Parliament is then sitting or, if Parliament is not then sitting, at the end of the fifteenth sitting day of the next sitting of Parliament, unless before that day the order is approved by a resolution adopted by both Houses of Parliament.
Marginal note:Meaning of sitting day
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), a day on which either House of Parliament sits is deemed to be a sitting day.
Goods in Transit
Marginal note:Goods in transit
79 An order made under any of the following provisions may provide that goods that are in transit to Canada at the time the order comes into force are entitled to the tariff treatment that was applicable to those goods immediately before that time:
(a) subsection 53(2);
(b) subsection 55(1);
(c) section 60;
(d) subsection 63(1);
(e) [Repealed, 2020, c. 1, s. 197]
(f) [Repealed, 2020, c. 1, s. 197]
(g) subsection 71.01(1);
(h) subsection 71.1(2);
(i) subsection 71.41(1);
(j) subsection 71.5(1);
(k) subsection 71.6(1);
(l) subsection 72(2);
(m) subsection 73(1);
(n) subsection 74(1);
(o) subsection 74(2);
(p) subsection 75(1).
- 1997, c. 36, s. 79
- 2001, c. 28, s. 40
- 2009, c. 16, ss. 47, 56
- 2010, c. 4, s. 40
- 2011, c. 24, s. 129
- 2012, c. 18, ss. 38, 44, c. 26, ss. 47, 61 to 63
- 2014, c. 14, s. 45, c. 28, s. 52
- 2017, c. 8, s. 38
- 2020, c. 1, s. 197
PART 3Duties Relief
80 The definitions in this section apply in this Part.
- customs duties
customs duties, other than for the purposes of sections 95, 96 and 98.1, means customs duties imposed under Part 2, other than surtaxes or temporary duties imposed under Division 4 of Part 2. (droits de douane)
duties, other than for the purposes of section 106, means duties or taxes levied or imposed on imported goods under Part 2, the Excise Act, 2001, the Excise Tax Act, the Special Import Measures Act or any other Act of Parliament relating to customs, but for the purposes of sections 89 and 113 does not include the goods and services tax. (droits)
- excise taxes
excise taxes means the taxes imposed under the Excise Tax Act other than the goods and services tax. (taxes d’accise)
- goods and services tax
goods and services tax means the tax imposed under Part IX of the Excise Tax Act. (taxe sur les produits et services)
process, in respect of goods, includes the adjustment, alteration, assembly, manufacture, modification, production or repair of the goods. (transformation)
- 1997, c. 36, s. 80
- 2001, c. 28, s. 41
- 2002, c. 19, ss. 8, 19, c. 22, s. 347
- 2011, c. 24, s. 130
- 2017, c. 6, s. 98
Marginal note:Part binds Her Majesty
81 This Part is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or of a province.
DIVISION 1Reduction of Rates of Customs Duty
Marginal note:Amendment of List of Tariff Provisions and the “F” Staging List
82 (1) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, by order, amend the List of Tariff Provisions and the “F” Staging List in respect of goods used in the production of other goods or the provision of services, subject to any conditions and for any period that may be set out in the order.
Marginal note:Repeal or amendment
(2) At any time before the expiration of an order made under subsection (1), the Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, by subsequent order, repeal or amend the order subject to any conditions and for any period that may be set out in the subsequent order.
Marginal note:Maximum rate
(3) A rate specified in an order made under subsection (1) or (2) may not exceed the rate of customs duty that would have been set out in the List of Tariff Provisions or in the “F” Staging List in respect of those goods if no order were made under this section.
(4) An order made under subsection (1) or (2) may, if it so provides, be retroactive and have effect in respect of a period before it is made, but no such order may have effect in respect of a period before this section comes into force.
(6) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, make regulations for carrying out the purposes of this section.
DIVISION 2Importation without Full Payment of Duties
Reduced Value for Duty
Marginal note:Goods of heading No. 98.04
83 In the case of goods that are imported by a traveller, that are reported in accordance with regulations made under paragraph 133(f) prescribing conditions for the classification of goods under heading No. 98.04 and that, but for the fact that their value for duty as determined under section 46 of the Customs Act exceeds the maximum value specified under tariff item No. 9804.10.00, 9804.20.00 or 9804.30.00, would be classified under one of those tariff items,
(a) in the case of goods that would have been classified under tariff item No. 9804.10.00 or 9804.20.00, the value for duty of the goods shall be reduced by an amount equal to that maximum specified value and, in the case of alcoholic beverages and tobacco, the quantity of those goods shall, for the purposes of assessing duties other than a duty under section 54 of the Excise Act, 2001, be reduced by the quantity of alcoholic beverages and tobacco up to the maximum quantities specified in tariff item No. 9804.10.00 or 9804.20.00, as the case may be;
(b) in the case of goods that would have been classified under tariff item No. 9804.30.00,
(c) the goods shall be classified under tariff items in any of Chapters 1 to 97 and heading No. 98.26, as the case may be.
- 1997, c. 36, s. 83
- 2001, c. 16, s. 4
- 2002, c. 22, s. 348
- Date modified: