Place of and Fees for Examinations
24 (1) Examinations conducted by the committee of examiners shall be held at such place as the Authority may from time to time prescribe in a notice given by the Authority to the persons who will take the examinations.
(2) The fees payable for the examination are the following:
- SOR/2003-224, s. 4
- SOR/2009-329, s. 11
Eligibility for Apprenticeship System
25 (1) The name of an applicant who wishes to become an apprentice pilot and meets the qualifications for an applicant for or a holder of a licence set out in the Act, the General Pilotage Regulations and these Regulations shall be placed by a committee of examiners on an eligibility list prepared by them under paragraph 22(a).
(1.1) The name of an applicant who meets the qualifications referred to in subsection (1) shall be placed on the eligibility list after the last name on the list.
(1.2) If several applicants meet the qualifications referred to in subsection (1) at the same time, their names shall be placed on the eligibility list after the last name on the list in an order that ranks them, from highest to lowest, in accordance with their results in the examinations referred to in section 23.
(2) The name of an applicant referred to in subsection (1) shall remain on the eligibility list for a period of two years.
(3) Upon the expiration of the two-year period referred to in subsection (2), the name of the applicant shall be removed from the eligibility list unless he establishes to the satisfaction of the committee of examiners that he
- SOR/2003-224, s. 5
Appointment of Apprentice Pilots
26 If the Authority requires an apprentice pilot to meet the needs of the pilotage service, the Authority may appoint as an apprentice pilot a person whose name is at the top of the eligibility list referred to in section 25.
- SOR/2003-224, s. 6
Duration of Apprenticeship
(a) to qualify for a licence for Area 1, serve as an apprentice for a period of not less than three months in that Area and complete during that period not less than 50 assignments in the Area with a licensed pilot; or
(b) to qualify for a licence for Areas 2 to 5,
(2) A person shall cease to be an apprentice pilot when he
- SOR/78-839, s. 2
- SOR/2009-329, s. 12
Apprenticeship System Training
(a) when directed to do so by the Authority, take examinations both written and oral before the committee of examiners;
(b) make such voyages at the direction of the Authority as will give him the most extensive experience in the waters and ports of the compulsory pilotage area in respect of which he wishes to obtain a licence; and
(c) keep a log of all voyages made by him pursuant to paragraph (b) in a form approved by the Authority.
(2) An apprentice pilot shall be under the direction and command of the licensed pilot of the ship to which he is assigned.
(3) The Authority may assign one apprentice pilot to a ship and may assign a second apprentice pilot to a ship after consultation with the master, owner or agent thereof.
Marine Occurrence Report
29 (1) If a ship that is subject to compulsory pilotage or a ship in respect of which a waiver of compulsory pilotage has been granted is involved in a marine occurrence in a compulsory pilotage area, the person who has the conduct of the ship at the time of the marine occurrence shall submit a full report on the marine occurrence to the Authority on a form provided by the Authority for that use.
(2) If the person who has the conduct of the ship at the time of the marine occurrence is not the master, the master shall also submit a full report on the marine occurrence to the Authority on a form provided by the Authority for that use.
(3) A person who is required to submit a full report on the marine occurrence shall do so
(4) The Authority shall grant an additional period of time if the Authority is notified within 72 hours after the marine occurrence that the person is unable to submit the report within those 72 hours because the person was injured in the marine occurrence or because the person is in a remote location that does not have a scheduled transportation service or a communication system that can be used to submit the report.
- SOR/2003-224, s. 7
- SOR/2014-240, s. 4
- Date modified: