1 In this Schedule, general measurement point, in respect of any accommodation space, means
(a) a point midway between two adjacent lamps;
(b) a point midway between a lamp and any position on the boundary of the space; and
(c) the central point of part of a space that is available for free movement where that part is shaded from the direct rays of a lamp by a re-entrant angle formed in the boundary of the space.
2 (1) The illumination in any part of the crew accommodation is deemed to comply with the requirements of section 3 of this Schedule if the illumination in the horizontal plane, when measured at the points described in section 3 of this Schedule and in the manner described in this section, is maintained at not less than 90 per cent of the values specified in section 3 of this Schedule.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the illumination at every general measurement point shall be measured at a height of 840 mm above the floor.
(3) The illumination at a general measurement point in a passageway or companionway may be measured at the floor surface if the reflection factor of the floor surface is not less than 40 per cent.
(4) The illumination of every dry provision storage room shall be measured when the room is empty.
3 (1) Every sleeping room shall be provided with illumination of at least the following values:
(2) Every dining area and recreation room shall be provided with illumination of at least the following values:
(3) Every toilet space shall be provided with illumination of at least the following values:
(4) Every drying room shall be provided with at least 108 lx of illumination in the centre of that room.
(5) Every galley shall be provided with at least 540 lx of illumination at the working positions.
(6) Every dry provision storage space shall be provided with at least 108 lx of illumination
(7) Every passageway and companionway shall be provided with illumination of at least the following values:
4 (1) In every sleeping room above the head of each bed there shall be fitted one reading light that
(2) Every reading light referred to in subsection (1) shall be turned off while the illumination values required by subsection 3(1) are being measured.
- SOR/78-144, ss. 23 to 25
- Date modified: