PART 16Consumer Fireworks (continued)
DIVISION 1Rules for Sellers (continued)
351 A retailer may sell only to users.
Marginal note:Copy of rules
(2) A seller who sells consumer fireworks to a user must offer the user either a copy of the table at the end of this Part or a document that includes the same information.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the sale of toy pistol caps.
Marginal note:Record of sale
353 A seller must keep a record of every sale of 150 kg or more of consumer fireworks for two years after the date of the sale. The record must include the following information:
(a) the buyer’s name and address;
(b) in the case of a licensed buyer, the licence number and expiry date;
(d) the quantity of fireworks sold under each product name;
(e) in the case of a sale by a distributor, an indication of whether the fireworks were purchased for re-sale or for use; and
(f) the date of the sale.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 39;
- SOR/2018-231, ss. 44(F), 45(E).
DIVISION 2Rules for Users
Acquisition and Storage
Marginal note:Toy pistol caps
(2) A user who is less than 18 years old may acquire and use toy pistol caps.
Marginal note:Storage — licensed user
Marginal note:Storage — unlicensed user
Marginal note:Maximum quantity — dwelling
Marginal note:Maximum quantity — storage unit
Marginal note:Storage requirements — dwelling
357 (1) When consumer fireworks are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the user.
Marginal note:Storage requirements — storage unit
(a) the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;
(b) the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;
(c) if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;
(d) if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be unobstructed;
(e) any shelving in the storage unit must be constructed from a non-sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);
(f) nothing other than consumer fireworks may be stored in the storage unit;
(h) the storage unit must be kept clean, dry, organized and free of grit;
(i) any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;
(j) precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and
(k) a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.
Marginal note:Electric match
(2) A user must not use an electric match to fire fireworks.
Marginal note:No smoking
(3) A user must not smoke, and must prohibit all others from smoking, within 8 m of the site of use of the fireworks.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 30.
Marginal note:User under 18 years old
(2) A person who acquires consumer fireworks may give them to a user who is under the age of 18 if the person ensures that the user is supervised by a person who is at least 18 years old.
Marginal note:Toy pistol caps
(3) The supervision requirement in subsections (1) and (2) does not apply in respect of toy pistol caps.
- Date modified: