GRAPHIC IS NOT DISPLAYED, SEE SOR/94-165, S. 66
- SOR/94-165, s. 66
PART XVIIFirst Aid
17.1 In this Part,
- first aid station
first aid station means a place, other than a first aid room or medical clinic, in which first aid supplies or equipment are stored; (poste de secours)
- isolated work place
isolated work place means a work place that is more than two hours’ travel time from a hospital or a medical clinic under normal travel conditions using the fastest available means of transportation; (lieu de travail isolé)
- medical clinic
medical clinic means a medical consultation and treatment facility that is in the charge of a medic or a physician. (service de santé)
- SOR/88-199, s. 13(E)
(2) A copy of the instructions referred to in subsection (1) shall be kept by the employer readily available for examination by employees.
(3) Every employee, on sustaining an injury or becoming aware that he has contracted an occupational disease or an illness shall, where practicable, report immediately for treatment to a first aid attendant.
Physicians and First Aid Attendants
17.3 A physician who has specialized knowledge in the treatment of the safety and health problems that may be encountered in the oil and gas industry shall be available at all times for medical consultation.
- SOR/88-199, s. 14(E)
- SOR/94-165, s. 67(F)
- SOR/2014-141, s. 10
(2) At an isolated work place in which not more than five employees are normally working, one of those employees shall be a first aid attendant who holds at least a standard first aid certificate.
- SOR/2014-141, s. 11
17.5 (1) At a work place onshore in which the number of employees set out in Column I of an item of Schedule I to this Part is normally working, that number shall include the number of first aid attendants set out in Columns II, III and IV of that item.
(2) At a work place offshore in which the number of employees set out in Column I of an item of Schedule II to this Part is normally working, that number shall include the number of first aid attendants set out in Columns II, III and IV of that item.
(3) Where a physician is available in a work place, the requirements of subsections (1) and (2) respecting the presence of a medic do not apply.
- SOR/88-199, s. 15(E)
(a) a medic, who may be one of the employees, shall, to the extent possible, be available in the work place; or
(b) when it is not possible for a medic to be available in the work place, the employer shall make arrangements to have a medic available at all times
(2) Where a physician is available in an isolated work place, the requirements of subsection (1) do not apply.
- SOR/88-199, s. 16(E)
- SOR/94-165, s. 68(F)
- SOR/2014-141, s. 12
17.7 In addition to the requirements of sections 17.4 to 17.6, at a work place in which any employee is working on live high voltage electrical equipment, one of the employees shall be
(a) a first aid attendant who has successfully completed a CPR course; or
(b) trained to provide
17.8 A first aid attendant referred to in subsection 17.4(2), section 17.5 or 17.6 or paragraph 17.7(a) shall not be assigned duties that will interfere with the prompt and adequate rendering of first aid and shall
(a) be assigned to a first aid station or first aid room;
(b) be available at all times to employees in the work place; and
(c) render first aid to employees that are injured or ill at the work place.
- SOR/2014-141, s. 13
First Aid Stations
(2) A first aid station shall be
(3) A first aid station shall
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply where a first aid room or a medical clinic that meets the requirements of subsection (2) is provided by the employer.
Posting of Information
(a) information regarding first aid to be rendered for any injury, occupational disease or illness likely to be sustained or contracted in the work place;
(b) information regarding the location of first aid attendants, first aid stations and first aid rooms; and
(c) at every telephone, an up to date list of telephone numbers for use in emergencies.
(2) At an isolated work place or in a motor vehicle, the information referred to in subsection (1) shall be provided and kept with the first aid kit.
First Aid Supplies and Equipment
17.11 (1) For each work place at which the number of employees working at any time is the number set out in Column I of an item of Schedule III to this Part, a first aid kit that is of the type set out in Column II of that item shall be provided.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a first aid kit of a type set out at the head of Column II, III, IV, V or VI of Schedule IV to this Part shall contain the first aid supplies and equipment set out in Column I of an item of that Schedule in the applicable number set out opposite those supplies and equipment in Column II, III, IV, V or VI of that item.
17.12 (1) Subject to subsection (2), where a hazard for skin or eye injury from a hazardous substance exists in the work place, shower facilities to wash the skin and eye wash facilities to irrigate the eyes shall be provided for immediate use by employees.
(2) Where it is not practicable to comply with subsection (1), portable equipment that may be used in place of the facilities referred to in subsection (1) shall be provided.
- SOR/88-199, s. 19
- SOR/94-165, s. 69(F)
- SOR/2014-141, s. 14(F)
First Aid Rooms
(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not apply where a medical clinic or hospital at which medical treatment is provided without charge to employees is readily accessible.
- Date modified: