137. (1) Subject to subsections (1.1) and (1.2), a registered holder or beneficial owner of shares that are entitled to be voted at an annual meeting of shareholders may
(a) submit to the corporation notice of any matter that the person proposes to raise at the meeting (a “proposal”); and
(b) discuss at the meeting any matter in respect of which the person would have been entitled to submit a proposal.
Marginal note:Persons eligible to make proposals
(1.1) To be eligible to submit a proposal, a person
(a) must be, for at least the prescribed period, the registered holder or the beneficial owner of at least the prescribed number of outstanding shares of the corporation; or
(b) must have the support of persons who, in the aggregate, and including or not including the person that submits the proposal, have been, for at least the prescribed period, the registered holders, or the beneficial owners of, at least the prescribed number of outstanding shares of the corporation.
Marginal note:Information to be provided
(1.2) A proposal submitted under paragraph (1)(a) must be accompanied by the following information:
(a) the name and address of the person and of the person’s supporters, if applicable; and
(b) the number of shares held or owned by the person and the person’s supporters, if applicable, and the date the shares were acquired.
Marginal note:Information not part of proposal
(1.3) The information provided under subsection (1.2) does not form part of the proposal or of the supporting statement referred to in subsection (3) and is not included for the purposes of the prescribed maximum word limit set out in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Proof may be required
(1.4) If requested by the corporation within the prescribed period, a person who submits a proposal must provide proof, within the prescribed period, that the person meets the requirements of subsection (1.1).
Marginal note:Information circular
(2) A corporation that solicits proxies shall set out the proposal in the management proxy circular required by section 150 or attach the proposal thereto.
Marginal note:Supporting statement
(3) If so requested by the person who submits a proposal, the corporation shall include in the management proxy circular or attach to it a statement in support of the proposal by the person and the name and address of the person. The statement and the proposal must together not exceed the prescribed maximum number of words.
Marginal note:Nomination for director
(4) A proposal may include nominations for the election of directors if the proposal is signed by one or more holders of shares representing in the aggregate not less than five per cent of the shares or five per cent of the shares of a class of shares of the corporation entitled to vote at the meeting to which the proposal is to be presented, but this subsection does not preclude nominations made at a meeting of shareholders.
(5) A corporation is not required to comply with subsections (2) and (3) if
(a) the proposal is not submitted to the corporation at least the prescribed number of days before the anniversary date of the notice of meeting that was sent to shareholders in connection with the previous annual meeting of shareholders;
(b) it clearly appears that the primary purpose of the proposal is to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the corporation or its directors, officers or security holders;
(b.1) it clearly appears that the proposal does not relate in a significant way to the business or affairs of the corporation;
(c) not more than the prescribed period before the receipt of a proposal, a person failed to present, in person or by proxy, at a meeting of shareholders, a proposal that at the person’s request, had been included in a management proxy circular relating to the meeting;
(d) substantially the same proposal was submitted to shareholders in a management proxy circular or a dissident’s proxy circular relating to a meeting of shareholders held not more than the prescribed period before the receipt of the proposal and did not receive the prescribed minimum amount of support at the meeting; or
(e) the rights conferred by this section are being abused to secure publicity.
Marginal note:Corporation may refuse to include proposal
(5.1) If a person who submits a proposal fails to continue to hold or own the number of shares referred to in subsection (1.1) up to and including the day of the meeting, the corporation is not required to set out in the management proxy circular, or attach to it, any proposal submitted by that person for any meeting held within the prescribed period following the date of the meeting.
(6) No corporation or person acting on its behalf incurs any liability by reason only of circulating a proposal or statement in compliance with this section.
Marginal note:Notice of refusal
(7) If a corporation refuses to include a proposal in a management proxy circular, the corporation shall, within the prescribed period after the day on which it receives the proposal or the day on which it receives the proof of ownership under subsection (1.4), as the case may be, notify in writing the person submitting the proposal of its intention to omit the proposal from the management proxy circular and of the reasons for the refusal.
Marginal note:Person may apply to court
(8) On the application of a person submitting a proposal who claims to be aggrieved by a corporation’s refusal under subsection (7), a court may restrain the holding of the meeting to which the proposal is sought to be presented and make any further order it thinks fit.
Marginal note:Corporation’s application to court
(9) The corporation or any person claiming to be aggrieved by a proposal may apply to a court for an order permitting the corporation to omit the proposal from the management proxy circular, and the court, if it is satisfied that subsection (5) applies, may make such order as it thinks fit.
Marginal note:Director entitled to notice
(10) An applicant under subsection (8) or (9) shall give the Director notice of the application and the Director is entitled to appear and be heard in person or by counsel.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 137;
- 2001, c. 14, s. 59;
- 2011, c. 21, s. 53(F).
- Date modified: