Marginal note:Unanimous shareholder agreement
146. (1) An otherwise lawful written agreement among all the shareholders of a corporation, or among all the shareholders and one or more persons who are not shareholders, that restricts, in whole or in part, the powers of the directors to manage, or supervise the management of, the business and affairs of the corporation is valid.
Marginal note:Declaration by single shareholder
(2) If a person who is the beneficial owner of all the issued shares of a corporation makes a written declaration that restricts in whole or in part the powers of the directors to manage, or supervise the management of, the business and affairs of the corporation, the declaration is deemed to be a unanimous shareholder agreement.
Marginal note:Constructive party
(3) A purchaser or transferee of shares subject to a unanimous shareholder agreement is deemed to be a party to the agreement.
Marginal note:When no notice given
(4) If notice is not given to a purchaser or transferee of the existence of a unanimous shareholder agreement, in the manner referred to in subsection 49(8) or otherwise, the purchaser or transferee may, no later than 30 days after they become aware of the existence of the unanimous shareholder agreement, rescind the transaction by which they acquired the shares.
Marginal note:Rights of shareholder
(5) To the extent that a unanimous shareholder agreement restricts the powers of the directors to manage, or supervise the management of, the business and affairs of the corporation, parties to the unanimous shareholder agreement who are given that power to manage or supervise the management of the business and affairs of the corporation have all the rights, powers, duties and liabilities of a director of the corporation, whether they arise under this Act or otherwise, including any defences available to the directors, and the directors are relieved of their rights, powers, duties and liabilities, including their liabilities under section 119, to the same extent.
Marginal note:Discretion of shareholders
(6) Nothing in this section prevents shareholders from fettering their discretion when exercising the powers of directors under a unanimous shareholder agreement.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 146;
- 1994, c. 24, s. 15(F);
- 2001, c. 14, s. 66.
- Date modified: