Marginal note:Mandatory solicitation
149. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the management of a corporation shall, concurrently with giving notice of a meeting of shareholders, send a form of proxy in prescribed form to each shareholder who is entitled to receive notice of the meeting.
(2) The management of the corporation is not required to send a form of proxy under subsection (1) if it
(a) is not a distributing corporation; and
(b) has fifty or fewer shareholders entitled to vote at a meeting, two or more joint holders being counted as one shareholder.
(3) If the management of a corporation fails to comply, without reasonable cause, with subsection (1), the corporation is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars.
Marginal note:Officers, etc., of corporations
(4) Where a corporation commits an offence under subsection (3), any director or officer of the corporation who knowingly authorized, permitted or acquiesced in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both, whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-44, s. 149;
- 2001, c. 14, s. 68.
- Date modified: