Income Tax Act
Marginal note:General rule for part dispositions
43 (1) For the purpose of computing a taxpayer’s gain or loss for a taxation year from the disposition of part of a property, the adjusted cost base to the taxpayer, immediately before the disposition, of that part is the portion of the adjusted cost base to the taxpayer at that time of the whole property that can reasonably be regarded as attributable to that part.
Marginal note:Ecological gifts
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) and section 53, if at any time a taxpayer disposes of a covenant or an easement to which land is subject or, in the case of land in the Province of Quebec, a real servitude, in circumstances where subsection 110.1(5) or 118.1(12) applies,
(a) the portion of the adjusted cost base to the taxpayer of the land immediately before the disposition that can reasonably be regarded as attributable to the covenant, easement or real servitude, as the case may be, is deemed to be equal to the amount determined by the formula
A × B/C
- is the adjusted cost base to the taxpayer of the land immediately before the disposition,
- is the amount determined under subsection 110.1(5) or 118.1(12) in respect of the disposition, and
- is the fair market value of the land immediately before the disposition; and
(b) for greater certainty, the cost to the taxpayer of the land shall be reduced at the time of the disposition by the amount determined under paragraph (a).
Marginal note:Payments out of trust income, etc.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where part of a capital interest of a taxpayer in a trust would, but for paragraph (h) or (i) of the definition disposition in subsection 248(1), be disposed of solely because of the satisfaction of a right to enforce payment of an amount by the trust, no part of the adjusted cost base to the taxpayer of the taxpayer’s capital interest in the trust shall be allocated to that part of the capital interest.
- NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text;
- see relevant amending Acts. R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 43;
- 2001, c. 17, s. 27;
- 2013, c. 34, s. 185.
- Date modified: