CONSTRUCTION AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Marginal note:Shearing and pinching
13. Every crib, cradle and bassinet must be constructed so as to prevent injury to a child from shearing or pinching.
14. Every crib, cradle and bassinet must be free from any surface coating that contains any of the following substances:
(a) total lead in excess of 90 mg/kg;
(b) any compound of antimony, arsenic, cadmium, selenium or barium if more than 0.1% of the compound dissolves in 5% hydrochloric acid after being stirred for 10 minutes at 20°C; or
(c) any compound of mercury.
Marginal note:Rocking or swinging
15. Every crib, cradle and bassinet that rocks or swings must be constructed so that it cannot rock or swing beyond a 20° angle from the vertical.
Marginal note:Strength and solidity of slats
16. A slat of a crib, cradle or bassinet must not turn, dislodge, deform or become damaged when tested in accordance with Schedule 2.
17. A completely bounded opening that is located above the mattress support of a crib, cradle or bassinet when the mattress support is in any position must not permit the passage of a solid rectangular block with dimensions of 60 mm × 100 mm × 100 mm in any orientation, when tested in accordance with Schedule 3.
18. A component of a crib, cradle or bassinet that contains textile fibres or any other pliable material must not, when tested in accordance with the Canadian General Standards Board standard CAN/CGSB-4.2, No. 27.5-2008, entitled Textile Test Methods — Flame Resistance — 45° Angle Test — One Second Flame Impingement, have a time of flame spread of seven seconds or less if the component either
(a) does not have a raised fibre surface; or
(b) has a raised fibre surface and exhibits ignition or fusion of its base fibres.
Marginal note:Mesh — size of openings
19. (1) The openings in any mesh on a crib, cradle or bassinet must be of such a size that, when tested in accordance with Schedule 4, the tip of the probe illustrated in Figure 1 of that Schedule is unable to pass through them.
Marginal note:Mesh — strength and integrity
(2) Any mesh that forms part of the sides or bottom of a crib, cradle or bassinet must not, when tested in accordance with Schedule 5, either
(a) break or rupture; or
(b) become separated from its supporting structure or attachments.
20. A mattress that is supplied with a crib, cradle or bassinet must
(a) be not more than
(i) 150 mm thick, in the case of a crib, or
(ii) 38 mm thick, in the case of a cradle or bassinet;
(b) be of such a size that, when it is pushed firmly against any side of the crib, cradle or bassinet, it does not leave a gap of more than 30 mm between the mattress and any part of the sides of the crib, cradle or bassinet; and
(c) be stitched using lock-stitching.
- Date modified: