3. (1) A product may be advertised, sold or imported if it meets the requirements of these Regulations.
(2) Written material that is applied to or that accompanies a product, and any advertisement of a product, are authorized if they do not make any direct or indirect reference to the Act or these Regulations.
- SOR/2009-179, s. 2.
LABELLING AND INSTRUCTIONS
4. (1) Every product must have indelibly printed on it or permanently affixed to it, in English or in French, the following information, clearly and prominently displayed in numerals and block letters at least 2.5 mm in height that contrast sharply with the background by their colour, projection or indentation:
(a) the name and principal place of business in Canada of the manufacturer, importer or distributor;
(b) the model name or model number of the product; and
(c) the year and month of manufacture of the product, or a code mark or other identification that identifies that year and month.
(2) Every container in which a product is sold must have indelibly printed on it or permanently affixed to it, clearly and prominently, the information described in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c).
(3) Subject to subsection (5), every product must have indelibly printed on it or permanently affixed to it, in English and in French, the following warnings, clearly and prominently displayed in numerals and letters that contrast sharply with the background by their colour, projection or indentation:
Install according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Intended for use with children from 6 months through 24 months.
Install with locking mechanism on side away from child (applies to pressure-mounted gates only).
This product will not necessarily prevent all accidents. Never leave child unattended.
If an enclosure has a locking/latching mechanism, the following warning shall apply: Use only with the locking/latching mechanism (or appropriate terminology) securely engaged.
MISE EN GARDE
Installer conformément aux instructions du fabricant.
Destiné aux enfants de 6 à 24 mois.
Installer de façon que le mécanisme de verrouillage se trouve du côté opposé à l’enfant. (Seulement dans le cas des barrières retenues par pression.)
Cet article ne prévient pas nécessairement tous les accidents. Ne jamais laisser l’enfant sans surveillance.
Si l’enceinte est munie d’un mécanisme de fermeture/verrouillage, l’avertissement suivant s’y applique : N’utiliser l’article que lorsque le mécanisme de fermeture/verrouillage (ou autres termes appropriés) est solidement enclenché.”
(4) The warning required by subsection (3) must be displayed in the following manner:
(a) the headings “WARNING” and “MISE EN GARDE” must be in upper-case block letters at least 5 mm in height; and
(b) the text of the warning must be in numerals and letters at least 2.5 mm in height.
(5) The warning may be displayed in graphics that concisely and readily convey the same meaning as the text of the warning set out in subsection (3).
(6) Every product shall be accompanied by
(a) legible written instructions that clearly state, in both official languages, with line drawings or photographs illustrating the sequence of steps, where needed, the following information, namely,
(i) how the product is to be assembled, if it is not sold fully assembled,
(ii) how the product is to be installed, including a statement of the limitations regarding the use of any mounting hardware that is included, and
(iii) how the product is to be operated, maintained and cleaned; and
(b) the warning set out in subsection (3).
- SOR/2009-179, s. 3.
- Date modified: