Life Saving Equipment Regulations
(2) If a ship navigates in waters the temperature of which is 15°C or more, the requirement in respect of the accommodation capacity referred to in paragraph (1)(a) or (3)(b) may be met by counting not more than 33.33 per cent of the complement of the life raft or inflatable rescue platform as being in the water, holding on to the life raft or inflatable rescue platform.
(3) A Class VII ship that navigates in waters the temperature of which is 15°C or more may carry, instead of the survival craft referred to in paragraph (1)(a),
(a) one lifebuoy for every four members of the complement if the ship navigates
(b) enough buoyant apparatus to accommodate not more than 40 per cent of the complement of the ship and enough life rafts or inflatable rescue platforms to accommodate that portion of the complement not accommodated by the buoyant apparatus.
(4) [Repealed, SOR/2006-256, s. 3]
(5) A Class VII ship shall carry a suitable boat that is carried on board or towed.
(6) A Class VII ship within the length range set out in column I of an item of the table to this subsection shall carry the supply of equipment set out in columns II and III of that item.
Column I Column II Column III Item Length of Ship Lifebuoys Buoyant Lifelines 1 Under 25 m 2 2 2 25 m or over but under 50 m 4 2 3 50 m or over 6 2
(7) A Class VII ship shall carry the following supply of lifejackets:
(8) A Class VII ship shall carry, for each life raft and each inflatable rescue platform, the following equipment:
(a) if the ship is engaged on a voyage beyond the limits of a home-trade voyage, Class III, the Class A emergency pack set out in section 1 of Schedule I;
(b) if the ship is engaged on a home-trade voyage, Class IV, or a minor waters voyage, Class II, the Class C emergency pack set out in section 3 of Schedule I; and
(c) if the ship is engaged on any other voyage, the Class B (Canadian) emergency pack set out in section 2.1 of Schedule I.
(9) A Class VII ship shall carry, for each suitable boat, the equipment set out in section 5 of Schedule II.
(10) A Class VII ship shall be provided with signs that indicate
- SOR/96-218, s. 15
- SOR/2001-179, s. 14
- SOR/2004-26, s. 12
- SOR/2006-256, s. 3
- Date modified: