Food and Drug Regulations
B.01.008.1 (1) Information appearing on the label of a prepackaged product according to sections B.01.008.2 to B.01.010.4 and B.01.014 must be shown
(a) in a single colour of type that is a visual equivalent of 100% solid black type on a white background or a uniform neutral background with a maximum 5% tint of colour;
(b) in a single standard sans serif font that is not decorative and in a manner that the characters never touch each other or any differentiating feature under subsection B.01.008.2(2);
(c) in type of normal or condensed width that is not scaled down so that the characters take up less space horizontally and, if a nutrition facts table appears on the label, the width of type must be the same as that required for the type used to show the nutrients that appear in the nutrition facts table;
(d) in regular type, except as otherwise provided in those sections; and
(e) in type that is the same height that is not less than 1.1 mm with identical leading of not less than 2.5 mm, except as otherwise provided in this section or those sections.
(2) Despite paragraph (1)(a), a list of ingredients appearing on the label of the following prepackaged products is not required to be shown on a white background or a uniform neutral background with a maximum 5% tint of colour:
(a) a prepackaged product that is intended solely for use as an ingredient in the manufacture of other prepackaged products intended for sale to a consumer at the retail level or as an ingredient in the preparation of food by a commercial or industrial enterprise or an institution; and
(b) a prepackaged product that is a ready-to-serve multiple-serving prepackaged product intended solely to be served in a commercial or industrial enterprise or an institution.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4) and sections B.01.008.2 to B.01.010.4, if a nutrition facts table appears on the label of a prepackaged product and the type size of the nutrients shown in the table is not less than 8 points, the information referred to in subsection (1) must be shown in type that is
(a) the same height as the type in which the nutrients are shown in the table; and
(b) of a height that is not less than 1.4 mm with identical leading of not less than 3.2 mm.
(4) A title that introduces a list of ingredients, a food allergen source, gluten source and added sulphites statement as defined in subsection B.01.010.1(1) or a declaration referred to in subsection B.01.010.4(1) may be shown in type that is of a greater height than the type used to show the information in the list, statement or declaration, as the case may be.
(5) If more than one of the titles referred to in subsection (4) appears on a label, the characters of each title must be of the same height.
(6) For the purpose of this section, the height of type means the height of the lower case letter “x”.
- SOR/2016-305, s. 5
- SOR/2022-168, s. 2
- Date modified: