Food and Drug Regulations
B.01.035 (1) Subject to subsection (8), where an irradiated food referred to in column 1 of the table to Division 26 is offered for sale as a prepackaged product, the principal display panel of the label applied to the package shall carry the symbol described in subsection (5).
(2) Where an irradiated food referred to in column 1 of the table to Division 26 is not a prepackaged product and is offered for sale, a sign that carries the symbol described in subsection (5) shall be displayed immediately next to the food.
(3) The symbol required pursuant to subsection (1) or (2) shall appear in close proximity on the principal display panel referred to in subsection (1) or on the sign referred to in subsection (2) to one of the following statements or a written statement that has the same meaning:
(a) “treated with radiation”;
(b) “treated by irradiation”; or
(4) No person shall sell a food referred to in column 1 of the table to Division 26 that has been irradiated in the manner set out in subsection B.26.003(2) unless the requirements of subsections (1) to (3) are met.
(5) For the purposes of subsections (1) to (3), the symbol that indicates the irradiated food shall
(a) have an outer diameter
(i) in the case referred to in subsection (1), equal to or greater than the height of the numerical quantity prescribed by section 14 of the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Regulations for the declaration of net quantity of the package, and
(ii) in the case referred to in subsection (2), not less than 5 cm; and
(b) be in the following form:
(6) Notwithstanding subsection B.01.009(1), any food referred to in column 1 of the table to Division 26 that is an ingredient or component of a prepackaged product and that has been irradiated shall, if the food constitutes 10 per cent or more of the prepackaged product, be included in the list of ingredients and preceded by the statement “irradiated”.
(7) The label attached to a shipping container that contains a food set out in column 1 of the table to Division 26 that has been subjected to the maximum absorbed dose set out in column 5 shall carry the statement that is required by subsection (3) and the statement “Do not irradiate again.”.
(8) Where a shipping container constitutes the package of the prepackaged product, the label attached to the shipping container shall carry the statement required by subsection (7) but need not carry the symbol required by subsection (5).
(9) Any advertising of an irradiated food referred to in column 1 of the table to Division 26 shall identify the food as having been irradiated.
(10) The statements referred to in subsections (3) and (6) to (8) shall be in both official languages in accordance with subsection B.01.012(2).
- SOR/89-172, s. 1
- SOR/2017-16, s. 1
- Date modified: