Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Version of section 112 from 2006-03-22 to 2017-05-04:

Marginal note:Work permits — requirements

 A work permit shall not be issued to a foreign national who seeks to enter Canada as a live-in caregiver unless they

  • (a) applied for a work permit as a live-in caregiver before entering Canada;

  • (b) have successfully completed a course of study that is equivalent to the successful completion of secondary school in Canada;

  • (c) have the following training or experience, in a field or occupation related to the employment for which the work permit is sought, namely,

    • (i) successful completion of six months of full-time training in a classroom setting, or

    • (ii) completion of one year of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer, in such a field or occupation within the three years immediately before the day on which they submit an application for a work permit;

  • (d) have the ability to speak, read and listen to English or French at a level sufficient to communicate effectively in an unsupervised setting; and

  • (e) have an employment contract with their future employer.

Date modified: