Marine Transportation Security Regulations
218 (1) A vessel security officer shall keep the following records:
(a) details of security training, including the date, duration and description and the names of the participants;
(b) details of security drills and exercises, including the date and description, the names of the participants and any best practices or lessons learned that might improve the vessel security plan;
(c) details of security threats, breaches of security and security incidents, including the date, time, location and description, the response to them and the person to whom they were reported;
(d) records of changes in the MARSEC level, including the date, the time that notification was received and the time of compliance with the requirements of the new level;
(e) records of maintenance, calibration and testing of equipment used for security, including the date and time of the activity and the equipment involved;
(f) the last 10 declarations of security and of each continuing declaration of security for at least 90 days after the end of its effective period;
(g) in the case of a SOLAS ship, a continuous synopsis record issued by the Minister;
(h) a record of the last 10 calls at marine facilities;
(i) a record of each annual audit of the vessel security plan that includes, for each annual audit, a letter from the company security officer or the vessel security officer that certifies the day on which the audit was completed;
(j) a copy of the vessel security assessment and details of each periodic review of the vessel security assessment, including the date on which it was conducted and the findings of the review;
(k) the approved vessel security plan and details of each periodic review of the vessel security plan, including the date on which it was conducted, the findings of the review and any amendments to the plan that are recommended;
(l) details of each amendment to the vessel security plan, including the date of its approval and of its implementation;
(m) a list, by name or position, of the vessel personnel who have security responsibilities;
(n) an up-to-date list containing the names of screening officers; and
(o) records of inspections, including the date on which they are conducted.
(2) If records respecting equipment that is not used exclusively for security are kept separately from records respecting equipment that is used exclusively for security, the vessel security officer shall
(a) document, in written or electronic form, their existence, location and the name or position of the person responsible for keeping them; and
(b) ensure that the records are accessible.
(3) The vessel security officer shall ensure that the records set out in subsection (1) are kept for at least two years after they are made and shall make them available to the Minister on request, but shall ensure that the copy of the vessel security assessment and the approved vessel security plan are kept for at least two years after the expiry of the plan.
(4) The vessel security officer shall ensure that the records are protected from unauthorized access or disclosure.
(5) The vessel security officer shall ensure that any records kept in electronic format are protected from deletion, destruction and revision.
(6) No person shall disclose security information contained in the records, unless the disclosure is for the purpose of complying with these Regulations.
- SOR/2006-269, s. 3
- SOR/2006-270, s. 2
- Date modified: