Maritime Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
185 (1) An employee must not give or receive a guarantee of isolation for electrical equipment unless they are authorized in writing by their employer to give or receive a guarantee of isolation.
(2) No more than one employee is to give a guarantee of isolation for a piece of electrical equipment for a given period.
(3) Before an employer issues a work permit, the person in charge must receive from the guarantor
(a) a written guarantee of isolation; or
(b) if owing to an emergency it is not feasible for the person in charge to receive a written guarantee of isolation, a non-written guarantee of isolation.
(4) The written guarantee of isolation referred to in paragraph (3)(a) must be signed by the guarantor and by the person in charge and must contain the following information:
(a) the date and hour when the guarantee of isolation is given to the person in charge;
(b) the date and hour when the electrical equipment will become isolated;
(c) the date and hour when the isolation will be terminated, if known;
(d) the procedures by which isolation is assured;
(e) the name of the guarantor and the person in charge; and
(f) a statement as to whether live tests are to be performed.
(5) If a non-written guarantee of isolation referred to in paragraph (3)(b) is given, a written record of the guarantee must, as soon as feasible, be made by the guarantor and signed by the person in charge.
(6) A written record must contain the information referred to in subsection (4).
(7) Every written guarantee of isolation and every written record must be
(a) kept by the person in charge and made readily available for examination by the employee performing the work or live test until the work or live test is completed;
(b) given to the employer when the work or live test is completed; and
(c) kept by the employer at their place of business nearest to the work place in which the electrical equipment was located when it was isolated, for a period of one year after the completion of the work or live test.
(8) If a written guarantee of isolation or a written record of an oral guarantee of isolation is given to a person in charge and the person in charge is replaced at the work place by another person in charge before the guarantee has terminated, the other person in charge must sign the written guarantee of isolation or written record of the oral guarantee of isolation.
(9) Before an employee gives a guarantee of isolation for electrical equipment that obtains all or any portion of its electrical energy from a source that is not under the employee’s direct control, the employee must obtain a guarantee of isolation in respect of the source from the person who is in direct control of the source and is authorized to give the guarantee in respect of that source.
- SOR/2019-246, s. 299
- SOR/2021-122, s. 49
- Date modified: