Aviation Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
2.3 (1) If an employee may be exposed, to an A-weighted sound pressure level equal to or greater than 84 dBA for a period that is likely to endanger the employee’s hearing, the employer shall, without delay,
(2) The measurement of the A-weighted sound pressure level shall be performed instantaneously, during normal working conditions, using the slow response setting of a sound level meter.
(3) In the investigation referred to in subsection (1), the following matters shall be considered:
(a) the sources of sound on board the aircraft;
(b) the A-weighted sound pressure levels to which the employee is likely to be exposed and the duration of such exposure;
(c) the methods being used to reduce the exposure;
(d) whether the exposure of the employee is likely to exceed the limits established by paragraph 2.4(a); and
(e) whether the employee is likely to be exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA.
(4) On completion of the investigation and after consultation with the work place committee or the health and safety representative, the person appointed to carry out the investigation shall write, sign and date a report setting out their
(a) observations respecting the matters considered under subsection (3);
(b) recommendations respecting the measures that should be taken in order to comply with sections 2.4 to 2.8; and
(c) recommendations respecting the use of hearing protectors by employees who are exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA but not greater than 87 dBA.
(5) The report shall be kept by the employer at a location accessible to affected employees for a period of 10 years after the date of the report.
(6) If it is stated in the report that an employee is likely to be exposed to a noise exposure level (Lex,8) equal to or greater than 84 dBA, the employer shall, without delay,
(a) provide the employee with written information describing the hazards associated with exposure to high levels of sound;
(b) make the report readily available to the employee; and
(c) post and keep posted in a conspicuous place at a location accessible to the employee a notice stating where the report may be reviewed.
- Date modified: