Explosives Regulations, 2013
Marginal note:Firing unit
(2) Only the pyrotechnician in charge, or a person designated by the pyrotechnician in charge, may have access to the firing unit.
Marginal note:Physical keying device
(3) The pyrotechnician in charge, or a person designated by the pyrotechnician in charge, must have control of any physical keying device at all times.
Marginal note:Safety interlock
(4) The firing unit must be equipped with a safety interlock that has at least two steps.
Marginal note:Extraneous electricity
(5) Precautions that minimize the likelihood of extraneous electricity igniting an electric match must be taken.
Marginal note:Device attached to body
(6) Any device that is used to contain special effect pyrotechnics and is hand-held or attached to a person’s body must be equipped with a firing system that has two switches.
Marginal note:Connecting to power supply
(7) A firing unit must not be connected to a power supply except during a test of circuit continuity or immediately before a special effect pyrotechnic is to be fired. The circuit continuity tester must be current-limited and intrinsically safe so as to eliminate the possibility of an ignition of any pyrotechnic.
(8) Any device that is used to contain special effect pyrotechnics must be
(a) designed and manufactured to prevent fragmentation or distortion of the device;
(b) designed and manufactured to prevent or contain fragmentation of the pyrotechnics;
(c) mounted so as to prevent any change in position or direction when used;
(d) positioned and secured in a manner that minimizes the likelihood of harm to people and property; and
(e) maintained in good condition.
Marginal note:Damaged pyrotechnics
(9) Special effect pyrotechnics that are damaged, leaking, damp or contaminated must not be used.
Marginal note:No firing
(10) A special effect pyrotechnic must not be fired if a circumstance occurs that could increase the likelihood of harm to people or property.
Marginal note:Postponing or stopping event
(11) A pyrotechnic event must be postponed or stopped if unfavourable weather conditions develop, a special effect pyrotechnic malfunctions or any other circumstance occurs that could increase the likelihood of harm to people or property.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 34
- Date modified: