Explosives Regulations, 2013
Marginal note:Acceptable distance requirement
63 (1) Every process unit, factory magazine and raw material storage facility must be located at an acceptable distance from surrounding structures and infrastructure and from places where people are likely to be present.
Marginal note:Criteria — acceptable distance
(2) Acceptable distance is determined by the Minister of Natural Resources on the basis of risk of harm to people or property, taking into account the quantity and type of Footnote *explosives that are to be manufactured, the raw material to be used, the manufacturing operations to be carried out, the strength, proximity and use of surrounding structures and infrastructure and the number of people likely to be in the vicinity of the unit, magazine or facility.
Marginal note:Structural requirements
(3) Every process unit, factory magazine and transport unit must be designed, constructed and installed to conform to good engineering practices. It must be constructed in a manner that prevents the accumulation of explosives or raw material in cracks and cavities and that minimizes the harm to people and property that could result from an ignition of the explosives or raw material. The construction materials must be Footnote *compatible with the explosives to be manufactured, stored or transported and with the raw material to be used.
Marginal note:Factory magazines
(4) Every factory magazine must also be constructed so that it is well ventilated and resistant to theft, weather and fire.
Marginal note:Raw material storage facilities
(5) Every raw material storage facility must be designed, constructed and installed to conform to good engineering practices. The construction materials must be compatible with the raw material to be stored in the facility.
Marginal note:Means of escape
(6) Every process unit, factory magazine, raw material storage facility and transport unit must have a means of escape that will permit all people in the unit, magazine or facility to leave it quickly and easily in an emergency.
Marginal note:Lighting, electrical fixtures and wiring systems
(7) The lighting, electrical fixtures and wiring systems that are used in a process unit, factory magazine, raw material storage facility or transport unit must not increase the likelihood of an accidental ignition.
Marginal note:Electrostatic hazard
(8) Precautions that eliminate any possibility of an accidental ignition of electrostatic sensitive material (for example, grounding and control of humidity) must be taken in every process unit, factory magazine, raw material storage facility and transport unit.
Marginal note:Protection against lightning strikes
(9) Every process unit or building in which a process unit is located must be protected from lightning strikes if it would not be safe to shut down manufacturing operations in the process unit during a thunderstorm.
Return to footnote *Terms preceded by an asterisk are defined in section 6.
- Date modified: