Oil and Gas Occupational Safety and Health Regulations
13.7 (1) Subject to subsection (4), where there is a hazard of an airborne hazardous substance or an oxygen deficient atmosphere in a work place, the employer shall provide a respiratory protective device that is listed in the NIOSH Certified Equipment List as of October 1, 1984, dated February 1985, published by the United States National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
(2) A respiratory protective device referred to in subsection (1) shall be selected, fitted, cared for, used and maintained in accordance with the standards set out in CSA Standard Z94.4-M1982, Selection, Care and Use of Respirators, the English version of which is dated May 1982, as amended to September 1984 and the French version of which is dated March 1983, as amended to September 1984, excluding clauses 6.1.5, 10.3.3.1.2 and 10.3.3.4.2(c).
(3) Where air is provided for the purpose of a respiratory protective device referred to in subsection (1),
(a) the air shall meet the standards set out in clauses 5.5.2 to 5.5.11 of CSA Standard CAN3-Z180.1-M85, Compressed Breathing Air and Systems, the English version of which is dated December 1985 and the French version of which is dated November 1987; and
(b) the system that supplies air shall be constructed, tested, operated and maintained in accordance with the CSA Standard referred to in paragraph (a).
(4) Where there is a likelihood of exposure to hydrogen-sulphide gas or combustible gases at a drilling rig, drilling unit or production facility, the employer shall provide, at a readily accessible location
(a) on the drill floor, at least one self-contained positive pressure breathing device for each employee normally employed on the drill floor or an air manifold equipped with a face mask for each such employee;
(b) at least two portable hydrogen-sulphide gas detectors; and
(c) at least two portable combustible gas detectors.
(5) Where employee sleeping quarters are located adjacent to a drilling rig or on a drilling unit or production facility, at least four self-contained positive pressure breathing devices shall be located in a readily accessible location.
(6) No person who may be required to use a respiratory protective device shall have hair that interferes with the functioning of the breathing device.
- SOR/88-199, s. 19
- SOR/94-165, s. 49
- Date modified: