Federal Courts Rules
Marginal note:Role of assessor
52 (1) The Court may call on an assessor
(a) to assist the Court in understanding technical evidence; or
(b) to provide a written opinion in a proceeding.
Marginal note:Fees and disbursements
(2) An order made under subsection (1) shall provide for payment of the fees and disbursements of the assessor.
Marginal note:Communications with assessor
(3) All communications between the Court and an assessor shall be in open court.
Marginal note:Form and content of question
(4) Before requesting a written opinion from an assessor, the Court shall allow the parties to make submissions in respect of the form and content of the question to be asked.
Marginal note:Answer by assessor
(5) Before judgment is rendered, the Court shall provide the parties with the questions asked of, and any opinion given by, an assessor and give them an opportunity to make submissions thereon.
Marginal note:Expert witnesses
(6) A party may call an expert witness to testify notwithstanding that an assessor has been called on under subsection (1).
- Date modified: