Health of Animals Regulations
106 (1) Every carrier shall clean and disinfect every railway car, aircraft or vessel that has been used for the transportation of poultry or livestock.
(2) [Repealed, SOR/97-85, s. 66]
(3) An inspector may order a person in charge of a motor vehicle that has been used for the transportation of livestock to clean and disinfect, within a specified period of time, the motor vehicle at the nearest place where facilities for that purpose are available or at such other place as the inspector may specify.
(4) [Repealed, SOR/97-85, s. 66]
(5) No person shall bring from a country other that the United States a conveyance that has been used to transport poultry, ruminants, equines or porcines unless it has been cleaned and disinfected.
(5.1) No person shall bring from the United States a conveyance that has been used to transport poultry or porcines unless it has been cleaned and disinfected.
(5.2) Subsection (5.1) does not apply to a conveyance
(a) that has transported Canadian porcines to a slaughtering establishment in the United States where inspection is provided by the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture and that has returned directly to Canada from that establishment;
(b) that has not transported porcines other than those mentioned in paragraph (a) while in the United States;
(c) that is not licensed to transport livestock between locations in the United States; and
(d) from which as much manure as could be removed with a shovel and broom at an ambient temperature of 20°C has, in fact, been removed.
(6) Every person in charge of a railway car, motor vehicle or container that has been used for the transportation of a commodity that is required to be cleaned and disinfected pursuant to section 107 shall immediately after it is unloaded clean and disinfect the railway car, vehicle or container.
(7) All yards, stables, sheds or other premises used by railway or steamship companies or other persons for the accommodation of animals shall be maintained in a sanitary condition and an inspector may order the person in charge of the yard, stable, shed or other premises to clean and disinfect the premises.
(8) Every railway company and motor carrier shall affix to both sides of every railway car or motor vehicle used to transport a commodity that is required to be cleaned and disinfected pursuant to section 107 a placard stating in bold face letters not less than 1 1/2 inches in height the words “Restricted Import Animal Product” “Produit animal importé sous restriction” and “Clean and Disinfect this Car” “Wagon à nettoyer et à désinfecter”.
(9) In this section, stockyard has the same meaning as in the Livestock and Livestock Products Act.
- SOR/78-597, s. 13
- SOR/79-295, s. 17
- SOR/95-473, s. 11
- SOR/97-85, s. 66
- SOR/98-584, s. 4
- Date modified: