Health of Animals Regulations
(a) the establishment and the equipment therein is sound in construction, clean, in good repair and equipped with means to maintain it in a sanitary condition;
(b) the area immediately adjacent to the establishment is clean and protected against the incursion of animals;
(c) animal wastes, effluents from processing or testing, contaminated matter and dead animals are decontaminated before being removed or discharged from the establishment;
(d) the floors and walls of every room and area in which a veterinary biologic is prepared, manufactured, preserved or tested are of a hard finish suitable for cleaning;
(e) the establishment has drainage, plumbing and sewerage that are
(f) the establishment has dressing rooms, lavatories and showers that are
(g) eating rooms, if provided, are separate from, and do not lead directly into, any room used for preparing, manufacturing, preserving, storing, testing, packing or labelling a veterinary biologic;
(h) rooms or areas are provided, where required, that are capable of being maintained at a uniform and constant temperature within any desired range and are equipped with thermometers that provide a continuous permanent record of temperature;
(i) means are provided for warning of any failure of power or equipment or any change in the required temperature;
(j) rooms, areas and equipment are provided, where required, that are capable of being maintained free of air-borne contaminants to any desired degree and preventing the escape of micro-organisms therefrom;
(k) animals being used in a testing program or for any special purpose are segregated from all animals not being used in such program or for such purpose;
(l) a separate room is provided for animals being examined or tested
(m) every person employed therein is qualified to perform the task assigned to him.
(2) Every holder of a licence issued under these Regulations shall without delay inform the Minister of any change or addition to the material or information furnished to the Minister for the purpose of obtaining the licence.
(3) Every person employed in a licensed establishment shall
(4) Unless otherwise permitted by a veterinary inspector, no veterinary biologic shall be tested in a licensed establishment except in a separate room or building that is used exclusively for testing veterinary biologics.
(5) No diagnostic examination or procedure involving the use of
(a) a dead or diseased animal,
(b) diseased animal matter, or
(c) an unidentified culture of micro-organisms, fungi or moulds
shall be conducted in a licensed establishment except in a room or area separate from and not leading into any room or area used for preparing, manufacturing, preserving, storing or testing a veterinary biologic.
(6) Unless otherwise permitted by a veterinary inspector, no research or experimentation shall be conducted in a licensed establishment except in a room or area separate from and not leading into any room or area used for preparing, manufacturing, preserving, storing or testing a veterinary biologic.
- SOR/97-85, s. 73
- SOR/2002-438, ss. 13(F), 18(F)
- SOR/2012-286, s. 59
- SOR/2019-99, s. 18(F)
- Date modified: