Information about Government Institutions
Marginal note:Publication on government institutions
5. (1) The designated Minister shall cause to be published, on a periodic basis not less frequently than once each year, a publication containing
(a) a description of the organization and responsibilities of each government institution, including details on the programs and functions of each division or branch of each government institution;
(b) a description of all classes of records under the control of each government institution in sufficient detail to facilitate the exercise of the right of access under this Act;
(c) a description of all manuals used by employees of each government institution in administering or carrying out any of the programs or activities of the government institution; and
(d) the title and address of the appropriate officer for each government institution to whom requests for access to records under this Act should be sent.
(2) The designated Minister shall cause to be published, at least twice each year, a bulletin to bring the material contained in the publication published under subsection (1) up to date and to provide to the public other useful information relating to the operation of this Act.
Marginal note:Descriptions in publication and bulletins
(3) Any description that is required to be included in the publication or bulletins published under subsection (1) or (2) may be formulated in such a manner that the description does not itself constitute information on the basis of which the head of a government institution would be authorized to refuse to disclose a part of a record requested under this Act.
Marginal note:Publication and bulletin to be made available
(4) The designated Minister shall cause the publication referred to in subsection (1) and the bulletin referred to in subsection (2) to be made available throughout Canada in conformity with the principle that every person is entitled to reasonable access thereto.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. I “5”.
Requests for Access
Marginal note:Request for access to record
6. A request for access to a record under this Act shall be made in writing to the government institution that has control of the record and shall provide sufficient detail to enable an experienced employee of the institution with a reasonable effort to identify the record.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. I “6”.
Marginal note:Notice where access requested
7. Where access to a record is requested under this Act, the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to sections 8, 9 and 11, within thirty days after the request is received,
(a) give written notice to the person who made the request as to whether or not access to the record or a part thereof will be given; and
(b) if access is to be given, give the person who made the request access to the record or part thereof.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. I “7”.
- Date modified: