Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Appointment of members
10. (1) The Minister shall appoint an advisory board of not more than twelve members to hold office during pleasure for a term not exceeding three years, which term may be renewed for one or more further terms.
Marginal note:Role of advisory board
(2) The board shall advise the Minister on any matter within the responsibilities of the Agency.
(3) The Minister may appoint any person with relevant knowledge or experience to the advisory board, including persons from the agriculture, fisheries, food processing, food distribution and public health sectors, consumer groups or provincial or municipal governments.
(4) The Minister shall appoint one of the members as Chairperson of the advisory board.
Marginal note:Fees for services
(5) Each member of the advisory board shall be paid such fees for his or her services as are fixed by the Minister.
Marginal note:Travel and living expenses
(6) Each member of the advisory board shall be reimbursed for reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member in the course of performing duties under this Act while absent from his or her ordinary place of residence.
(7) The Chairperson may determine the times and places at which the advisory board will meet.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE AGENCY
Marginal note:Administration and enforcement
11. (1) The Agency is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Administrative Monetary Penalties Act, Canada Agricultural Products Act, Feeds Act, Fertilizers Act, Fish Inspection Act, Health of Animals Act, Meat Inspection Act, Plant Breeders’ Rights Act, Plant Protection Act and Seeds Act.
Marginal note:Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act
Marginal note:Food and Drugs Act
(3) The Agency is responsible for
(a) the enforcement of the Food and Drugs Act as it relates to food, as defined in section 2 of that Act; and
(b) the administration of the provisions of the Food and Drugs Act as they relate to food, as defined in section 2 of that Act, except those provisions that relate to public health, safety or nutrition.
Marginal note:Role of Minister of Health
(4) The Minister of Health is responsible for establishing policies and standards relating to the safety and nutritional quality of food sold in Canada and assessing the effectiveness of the Agency’s activities related to food safety.
Marginal note:Role of Canada Border Services Agency
(5) The Canada Border Services Agency is responsible for the enforcement of the program legislation referred to in paragraph (b) of the definition “program legislation” in section 2 of the Canada Border Services Agency Act as that program legislation relates to the delivery of passenger and initial import inspection services performed at airports and other Canadian border points other than import service centres.
- 1997, c. 6, s. 11;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 53.
- Date modified: